My PC Audio Question Journey

I finally took the step of getting an external DAC (Maverick D2) allowing me to stream iTunes from my computer via an Apple TV. So far, I have only used a PC, but purchased a Macbook Pro over the weekend that will become the primary computer in the near future.

My system is the following:
Computer with iTunes (Apple Lossless)
Apple TV
Maverick D2 DAC (tube and solid state outputs)
Yaqin MC-30L amplifier
Focal 836v speakers

As a baseline, I have been unable to tell a difference between the solid state DAC output and my Elite SACD player. I am also aware that the Apple TV streams 48 kHz instead of 44.1 kHz which, in theory, is weakness in the digital signal.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my current sound, but I could be convinced to upgrade the Apple TV to an Airport Express and also to use a parallel software that works with iTunes (as long as Airplay is still supported) if I was convinced that an objective improvement could be expected in my system.

There's several layers to the discussion so I thought I'd ask my questions one at a time in an effort to keep things focused.

TOPIC 1:
The goal when ripping a CD is to create a "bit perfect" digital copy on the hard drive. Should it be expected that using iTunes will achieve this goal? If not, is there an objective way to validate that another software performs this step better? Is the primary reason that most recommendations are to not use Apple Lossless vs. other lossless formats is because it is propriatary to Apple making it the most limiting format in the future?
mceljo
Mceljo, Whatever lossless format you choose it will be converted to Apple compressed lossless (ALAC) anyway, before sending to AE. As long as it is bit perfect it is data - no timing difference (that could affect sound).
Then it would be pretty dumb to use anything other than ALAC for my intended uses.
That's what I concluded and ripped everything into ALAC. Batch converting to other format is also possible if necessary.