shows that. My point is simply that there is more than one perspective and
consideration when appreciating and judging (if we must) what any given
player brings to the table. Understanding "both sides of the
coin" enhances our appreciation of each; and it certainly doesn't have
to detract from our appreciation. In a nutshell, the point is: a technical
virtuoso is not necessarily an artist, and an artist is not necessarily a
technical virtuoso. Regards.
Hi Frogman,
We're in agreement. Here's one for you, I'm more moved and get more enjoyment from Theloneous Monk than the rightfully esteemed Oscar Peterson(how's that for a minority view?)
Charles,
Agreed! Oscar Peterson has never been a favorite. Ask piano players, however, and Peterson will be preferred in more cases. Interesting you should mention Jimmy Dorsey and Charlie Parker. It is well documented in the various Bird biographies that Dorsey was one of Bird's favorite alto players. Another fascinating account is that Bird died in his hospital bed while watching the Dorsey Brother's TV show.

It's a fascinating subject, that of personal preferences. My feeling, which obviously doesn't have to be everyone's recipe for musical enjoyment and appreciation, is that the growth and development of our musical acumen (wether one is a listener or a musician) is an important goal and only helps us to enjoy our preferred genres and artists even more. When I read that Bird loved Jimmy Dorsey I want to try and understand why that was. BTW, it was mutual admiration between Parker and Dorsey. Once, when Dorsey went to hear Parker play he gave Parker one of his saxophones as a gift. Bird proceeded to pawn it :-)
"Bird proceeded to pawn it" Sad but not surprising given Parker's unfortunate addictions.
It's really interesting that a jazz colossus such as Miles was in absolute awe and near worship of Bird. Miles says even the very best musicians(regardless of instruments played) of that era simply deferred to Parker's genius and playing ability, so great was his influence. So your insightful story about Dorsey and Bird makes perfect sense.
Charles,
"It's really interesting that a jazz colossus such as Miles was in absolute awe and near worship of Bird"

Charles that's probably because technically he wasn't as good. As great as Miles was as a musical innovator I just don't hear the greatness in his playing, certainly not in the realm of Armstrong, Hawkins, Coltrane, Monk, Beiderbecke (YES, Bix) or a host of others as a musician's musician. I'm sure he well knew it but that wasn't his legacy. Miles was a great facilitator and a very creative tinkerer and innovator, THAT is his genius. IMHO. Funny, I remember almost 50 years back as a freshman band member in HS having the SAME arguments with fellow trumpeter, head tilted down with his mute in hand, who absolutely idolized Miles. Well before some of his milestone achievements, Bitches Brew and Tutu albums.

Waiting for the sparks to fly! All I can say is, it's a matter of taste and nothing is absolute! Oh Charles, we're in agreement on the Monk/Peterson comparison.