Shunyata Hydra

Ok, I need to make it clear that I am no philistine. I hear the difference between many items with nuanced ability to alter sound quality and fully agree that one must play with every part of their set up to get the sound they want. However, I have played with my shunyata power snakes and hydras in a million ways with many components and in many rooms and have tried floating the ground before and after the hydra and many many more variations. AFTER EVALUATING THE SOUND BOTH WITH COMPUTERS AND MANY UNBIASED EARS I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER THAT SHUNYATA POWER PRODUCTS HAVE ANY SONIC INFLUENCE WHATSOEVER. When I started buying shunyata products I was told by a salesman, "the impact of shunyata hydras and power snakes are in no way subtle." I will dispute that claim with anyone. I spent good money on these parts and wanted them to work very strongly. I can say without reservation their effect is nil. I'm staggered that so many are convinced of their worth.
128x128jamiek
I don't think he was saying that all power cords and line conditioners don't work, it was just the Shunyata products.
I also have a Hydra 8. I've used it with 3 Shunyata Pythons, which I no longer own. I also used to own the same speakers, Focal 1027be's.

While I cannot agree with you that the effects of Shunyata products are "nil," I will say that, in my particular application, the effects were subtle. Whether subtle gains are worth that kind of money is a subjective question, of course. Personally, I kept the Hydra 8 but sold all of my Pythons, replacing them with the same cords Elizabeth mentioned, the Pangeas.

One thing to keep in mind is that the effects of power conditioning and power cords is dependent on factors that vary considerably from system to system, things like...

1. Noise on the power line.
2. Voltage fluctuation on the line.
3. Robustness of the power supplies of your equipment.
4. Resolution of the system.

If your lines are quiet and stable, you are less likely to hear large effects from power conditioning. My line is dedicated (and therefore fairly quiet) and perfectly stable at 120V, which may very well be why I never heard a huge difference from the Hydra 8. Of course, that is a speculation.

Also, the more robust the power supplies in your equipment (in terms of voltage regulation and filtering), the less likely you are to hear large effects from power conditioning.

Finally, the less resolving the system, the less likely you are to hear large effects from power conditioning, simply because you are less likely to hear ANY effects. But I very much doubt that is the problem in this case, as your system is very good, and the Focal 1027be's are quite resolving.

So perhaps the reason you didn't hear much of a difference was because your power line is quiet/stable or your equipments' power supplies are robust, or both.

Of course, it's also possible that the effects of power products are exaggerated. Personally, I've never experienced a *major* improvement in SQ from a power product, but other people around here have reported major improvements, and some of those folks are quite credible.

Bryon
Jamiek, lots have had other opinions on Shunyata...I use their conditioners and cords and get a significant improvement...something seems odd on this post...
06-02-13: Jfrech

I don't think he was saying that all power cords and line conditioners don't work, it was just the products.
06-02-13: Zd542

JMHO, for the better or for the worse, Jamiek should be able to hear a difference between the stock OEM power cords and the Shunyata. Even with his audio system.

I would suggest Jamiek pull all the Shunyata PCs and Hydra 8 along with the Shakti electromagnetic stabalizer out of his system and reinstall all the stock OEM PCs back into the system. Plugged the equipment directly into the wall outlets.

Turn the system on put on some familiar music in the Esoteric SA 60 and sit down and listen for awhile.....

I would bet he will hear a difference. For better or worse? That will be his call.

After listening for awhile I would suggest installing one of the Shunyata PCs on the Esoteric only and then sit down for a listen again. Again I would be surprised if he does not hear a difference. For better or worse......
Jea48,

This is what I said,

"06-02-13: Zd542
I don't think he was saying that all power cords and line conditioners don't work, it was just the Shunyata products."

This is what you said I said,

"I don't think he was saying that all power cords and line conditioners don't work, it was just the products.
06-02-13: Zd542"

People can read. Do you work for Shunyata?
Zd542,

Maybe I was not clear in my post, but i was agreeing with you as well as Jfrech.

People can read. Do you work for Shunyata?
"06-02-13: Zd542

Nope! You must of missed the part where I said, for better or worse.

I would suggest Jamiek pull all the Shunyata PCs and Hydra 8 along with the Shakti electromagnetic stabalizer out of his system and reinstall all the stock OEM PCs back into the system. Plugged the equipment directly into the wall outlets.

Turn the system on put on some familiar music in the Esoteric SA 60 and sit down and listen for awhile.....

I would bet he will hear a difference. For better or worse? That will be his call.

After listening for awhile I would suggest installing one of the Shunyata PCs on the Esoteric only and then sit down for a listen again. Again I would be surprised if he does not hear a difference. For better or worse......
06-02-13: Jea48

Plugged the equipment directly into the wall outlets.
Sorry for not proof reading before posting. Should read,
Plug the equipment directly into the wall outlets.