Opinions on bang for the buck on TT & tonearm

$6000.00 budget on the used or demo market.
The sound; must create the illusion of being there, accurate vocals and sufficient bass. I know kinda tall order.
Thanks curleyques
curleyques
Stringreen and Rodman, Do you mean to say that of all the turntable/tonearm combinations in all the world that can be had for $6000 or less, you would choose "VPI"? Not to denigrate VPI as a brand name in any way, but perhaps the OP would like a more specific response. After all, VPI make many combinations of tt and tonearm in that price range. And you don't think it matters what cartridge is chosen?

IMO, VPI is fine, but so too would be a dozen or more other choices.
Another thing to think about is whether you want a suspension or not.

If you don't have a rock solid turntable stand, you might want to consider a turntable with a good suspension, such as a Basis.

I've owned three Basis tables and each has been a good bang for the buck table. My latest table, bought used for $6500, is a Basis 2500, with a Vector tonearm and a Dynavector XV-1S cartridge, with about 10 hours on it. I have rarely heard a table sound much better than this.
@Mr L- The OP asked about, "Bang for Buck"
turntables and arms. That's what we addressed. I'm assuming
they are capable of doing their own research, and picking from
the VPIs available(drives/suspensions/arms), according to
their tastes. That a cartridge would have to be chosen, based
on the VPI arm's design and effective mass, SHOULD already be
understood. Matter of fact YOU already mentioned that. Why
do I need to be redundant? BTW: YES; If I were looking for a
$6K vinyl system, I would build one from VPI components.
Not against buying used gear or vintage gear. Looking for great sound with minimal tweaking.