Help for my return to vinyl -- $2K rig.

I'm thinking of buying my first TT, cartridge and phono preamp. I grew up listening to records and have perhaps 100 saved up from my youth.

As part of a move, I decided to upgrade my system, and my dealer is a devout vinyl guy-- I listened to a bunch of vinyl while auditioning amplifiers and really loved the sound. The setup I listened to most was a Rega RP-6 through either a bellari or rega phono stage (I'll just try to forget what I heard through the Shindo/Garrard rig in the big room). I believe that rig gets close to $3K including a cartridge, which is just a bit higher than I want to go at this point. I'm thinking $1,500-$2,000 for a new TT/Cartridge and used phono stage. I don't generally like to buy used components with lots of moving parts, but electronics are generally fine.

System:

Line Magnetic 518IA (22 Watt Integrated 845 SET)
Merlin TSM-MME
Cary 306/200

Here's the thing-- my budget will be high enough next year to get the Rega Rig mentioned above, maybe even something nicer, so if I'm going to be disappointed by the offerings in my current price range, maybe I should just wait a year rather than buying some typical entry-level rig and losing the money the minute I drive them off the lot and realize I want more. OTOH, I'd like to enjoy some vinyl now. I'll appreciate suggestions.

D
dkidknow
Internal reinforcements? Please explain yourself. As far as I know, it's the same plinth with different coating for a high gloss finish, nothing more, nothing less.

I did a head to head comparison with same phono pre and, to my ears, there was no difference between the two.

reason why I ended up buying the RP3. Both great tables but if you like tweaking (like me), the extra money was not worth it.

my current tweaked RP3 gives the RP3 a run for it's money for $2,500.00. A $500.00 saving that I used for a top cart (Lyra Delos).

RP3 plinth w/Doble brace tech, 24V motor, and bearing well, everything else is gone.
RP8 tonearm
Groovetracer reference sub-par
Groovetracer delrin platter
Groovetracer 130 gm counterweight
Edwards Audio little belted
Dayton Audio brass cone threaded footers
Zirconia bearing with sapphire thrust pad.
Looks like a good place to start:

rp3 vs rp6 vs rp8

Also read that it has additional CNC machining and reinforcements here and other places. Plus I like the sound of the heavier glass platter on the RP6 plus the Groovetracer Reference RP6 subplatter brings it to another level...
Darn speller on my cell phone (much easier with the iPad).
I meant that my tweaked RP3 gives the RP8 it's run for the money.
I also meant to say "little belter" and not "belted".
Sorry for the typos.
Sbrownnw,I strongly believe that the RP8 is in another league compared to the RP3 and/or RP6. The way the 24v motor is cased and tuned plus the addition of a much better sub-platter, 3 layer platter, and double pulley/white belt assembly no longer requires any other upgrade from the likes of Groovetracer. The only tweaks I would recommend for the RP8 and/or 10 would be the counterweight.
One thing we can agree on is that Rega's latest incarnation of turntables are far superior than their previous generation. The RB808 is simply one of the best tonearms I've ever owned, comparable to the late RB1000 and, to my ears, better than Linn Ekos. My current TT replaced a rather expensive Linn Sondek LP12/Lingo/Linto/Ekos/Akiva combo and I don't miss it at all!
Happy listening!
buy a good condition, used Technics SL1200mk2 (or 1210). Send it off to KAB. Have Kevin install the tonearm damper, tonearm rewire, outboard power supply and the wax thrust plate damper. Install an Audio Technica AT150MLX cartridge.

Phono preamp flavor of your choice (and don't skimp here).
Hello Sbrownnw,

Been doing a little research on the Rega TTs and here is what I found:

The RP3 and RP6 plinths are slightly different:

RP6 - made from medium-density fiberboard
RP3 - made from coarser particle board

The finishes are different as I stated before.

The braces are also slightly different:

RP6 - the top brace is a sandwich of aluminum and phenolic RP3 - the top brace is all phenolic

The dustcover hinges are secured diferently:

RP6 - are secured with screws that are an inch and a half long and heavier-gauge
RP3 - used half-inch screws with lighter gauge.

Not sure if any of this will provide a significant sonic improvement/difference (not to my ears).

Anyways, you were right.