empire 980 arm mistracks with various cartridges

Hi I have Empire 598 with 980 arm that mistracks with all cartridges used. All carts function fine in other turntables.
No matter how heavy I set up the VTF going way over limit of the cartridge specified it will still mistrack and would not output anything bellow 160Hz. So all bottom end is completely sliced away. When I tap on the plinth, bass comes back for the flash moment.
So far connected ADC Series II, Pickering XV15, Shelter 501 with no success. What may cause such brutal mistracking and lack of resolution?
czarivey
Have you adjusted the arm height? That can play a significant role in the bass playback.

Also, the plinths on the original Empires are pretty well a joke. They resonate quite a lot. Also, the bearings in the 980 are quite fragile and they may not be functioning as designed.
Hi Ralph, I've tried ALL heights possible and they all sound same. My empire has suspension plinth and is one of the decent ones. I'm thinking about fitting different arm do you have anything in mind for the tight budget?
I think that arm-tube bearings at least one is loose -- the one opposite to VTF dial adjust. Any options to pack it with some light grease?
I'll appreciate responses!
It's probably your bearings. Carefully place a 1/2 inch square of plain paper on the tonearm gently while it's floating at zero grams - if it does not move, you have too much friction.
If adjusting arm height has no effect on the bass the arm is having a severe problem!

The bearings don't go out of adjustment, unless someone messes with them. They fail. Over-tightening the bearings is a simple way to damage them. They are supposed to be ever so slightly loose. They are not packed with grease- they don't need it.