VPI Direct Drive Turntable

I received a copy of the new Music Direct catalog today and saw the new VPI Classic Direct Drive turntable listed at $30,000. It looks virtually indistinguishable from the Classic 3 with the new 3-D tonearm save for three speed buttons in place of the pulley and the rubber belt. The description on the MD website is rather scant, and certainly does not give enough information to explain what makes this turntable $25K more expensive than the belt drive Classic line. The VPI website makes no mention of the new flagship product at all.

Does anyone have any information on this new megabuck VPI table?
actusreus
Brf, Not only do they perform the same (Camry vs Lexus with similar equipment choices), they ARE the same internally. Anyway, VPI is a successful company. Whether they made some unfortunate decisions in marketing their new DD remains to be seen. I doubt that the fate of the company rests on its success, which cannot be said for NVS, TechDas, Caliburn (already defunct, I hear), and some others.

Well, you can still get a Caliburn for half price on eBay.

I think Teres is no longer making their DD tables as they are not featured on their website anymore.

_______
I am curious about status of VPI. In the past TNT I thought was highly regard as among the big league table. HR-X was also no slouch. At that time, it may not be a Rolls Royce of turntable but probably quite a bit more than a Toyota, I would think.then it seems that in the last 6-7years, while many companies start making outrageously priced table, VPI went the opposite direction and aim for mid market instead with the Classic line. other companies then introduce cheaper tables as triggered down product while VPI made trigger up (is there such a word?) product, continuing to evolve Classic Line into more expensive products. Kind of strange. At one stage, I heard that VPI was even going to make a whole new table with DD that would come with its own stand and all but may be it proves to be too costly or HW may thing it would be too big a jump in their price structure? I definitely am curious to see if VPI rather unorthodox approach is going to work or not. No big word out of Miles yet but his one liner on wbf seems to be very positive for DD so far.
If Harry is using the TT-101 as a reference for his VPI Direct......it bodes well :-)
Before VPI came out with the HW-19, they made bases for JVC and Denon direct drive motors. I'm not sure of the extent of his involvement, but I've read that he also repaired and did other contract or authorized work on DDs.

While most companies specialize, at least to some extent, in a particular segment of the market, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Back in the day all the mass market players had flagship tables and some are of the most revered today. BTW, Sony made some great tables and their BSL (brushless/slotless) motors were in many of their mid priced tables.
The point is, other business models can work.

VPI is coming out with a new table, Voyager. $1K includes a cart, built-in phono stage, and a pr of Grado headphones.
I've read that they can hardly keep up with overseas orders for Traveler. This and Classic popularity gives them a solid foundation for introducing new expensive tables. It's not like they're coming out with a $150K table as their only product. If they only sold a few Classic Direct, I'd bet they'd be okay, but I'd also bet they sell quite a few more. When they come out with a new flagship it will probably look more like an HRX. I'd bet that it sells too.