VPI Direct Drive Turntable

I received a copy of the new Music Direct catalog today and saw the new VPI Classic Direct Drive turntable listed at $30,000. It looks virtually indistinguishable from the Classic 3 with the new 3-D tonearm save for three speed buttons in place of the pulley and the rubber belt. The description on the MD website is rather scant, and certainly does not give enough information to explain what makes this turntable $25K more expensive than the belt drive Classic line. The VPI website makes no mention of the new flagship product at all.

Does anyone have any information on this new megabuck VPI table?
actusreus
For me, there would be two DD competitors with the VPI DD, Steve Dobbins' The Beat Kodo (similar price) and a refurbished SP10 Mk3 (for much less money but much much more rare to find). The dark horse would be the Brinkmann.
Lew, I was thinking in terms of market share. I believe the CA is magnetic drive, but I don't know much about it.

On another note, I've been talking with Dlaloum about loading the 980/7500. Best results are probably somewhere between 1 to 10K. Judging from his graphs I'd say 2 to 5K.
I remember you mentioned it on the other thread.
https://sites.google.com/site/zevaudio/turt/cartridge-comparison-list/pickering-xlz-7500-s

Regards,
Hi Fleib,
On the other thread, I mentioned that I was using a 1000R load on the 980LZS and that I found 100R to be very unsatisfactory, I think because the sound was rather rolled off and muddy. Others took issue with me, saying that 100R worked fine with their 980LZSs. And that was that. I am sure it would be fun and revealing to experiment with other values above 1000R.

What is a "CA"? Clearaudio? To me, the term "magnetic drive" is typically just doublespeak for direct-drive, a term coined by some manufacturers (Clearaudio, maybe, and some others) to indicate that the product did not use belt drive but should not be tarred with anyone's prior bias against direct drive. Exceptions are products from EAR and Transrotor that have oddball drive systems using magnetics AND a belt.
Lew, I don't really know but the Clearaudio has a Delrin platter with a ceramic magnet bearing. It has a stainless steel subplatter which I think is driven by a DD DC motor. It also has an optical speed controller and will do the dishes after supper, so the WAF is high.
I got the impression that the Brinkman also uses a magnetic drive where the motor isn't directly connected to the platter. I've never even seen these tables so I don't really know what I'm talking about. Going by the sales blurb, they sound pretty cool.

When you were talking about the 980LZS I was loading at 270 ohms. Maybe Raul didn't have loading options on his MC stage at the time and maybe that's why he thinks the HO is better. Mine has very little use so I'm reluctant to be definitive. I'll try it again and see what 2K sounds like.
Regards,

Fleib: "I got the impression that the Brinkman also uses a magnetic drive where the motor isn't directly connected to the platter."

The Brinkmann Bardo and Oasis are both direct drive turntables. They are called by their marketing department as "magnetic drive" but since the motor and platter share the same bearing, the system is direct drive. The platter is a part of the motor where the rotor magnet is attached to the underbelly of the platter and the stator coils (coreless) are below the platter and they complete a coreless motor system that makes the turntable, well, turn.

The fear of a motor attaching to the platter would create wanted vibration is a misguided concept about the direct drive genre when that motor spins at 33rpm, about half hertz!

PS, The Clearaudio Statement, EAR Diskmaster, and Transrotor TMD and FMD systems are entirely different. They are NOT direct drive.

_______