VPI Direct Drive Turntable

I received a copy of the new Music Direct catalog today and saw the new VPI Classic Direct Drive turntable listed at $30,000. It looks virtually indistinguishable from the Classic 3 with the new 3-D tonearm save for three speed buttons in place of the pulley and the rubber belt. The description on the MD website is rather scant, and certainly does not give enough information to explain what makes this turntable $25K more expensive than the belt drive Classic line. The VPI website makes no mention of the new flagship product at all.

Does anyone have any information on this new megabuck VPI table?
actusreus
Dear Deadhead, it was you that brought politics to this forum and now you are going to diagnose my psyche after reading a few posts?
I am offering my experience and support to anyone interested in VPI Products. I have purchased several turntables from VPI and been very happy. I felt I got the best value for my dollar, for what I was looking for. I never had a problem getting top dollar reselling any VPI products.
I never meant to "bully' you or make you uncomfortable in any way, only to point out the obvious flaws in your argument.
I've owned many turntables over the years and VPI has always been my favorite. Maybe because I'm from Jersey I'm prejudice. Of course I started with the HW-19jr, moved up to the Scout which I loved then took the plunge to the Scoutmaster. I didn't feel the difference in sound was worth the difference in price and sold it for a TNTjr with a 12" arm and a Dynavector VPI cartridge. This is what I had been searching for. The bass was incredible and I was content. Rough times had forced me to sell the TNT and I've been searching for that sound every since. I'm back on my feet and just committed to purchase a Classic 1. The hype has peaked my interest and hope to find that bottom end I have been missing.
I realize my technical skills may be limited but my ears don't lie. I was a soundman for a gigging band back in the day and spent some time in the studio as well so I have an idea of what I'm listening for. I too apologize for my defensive tone. I'm sure you guys are stand up and deserve the mutual respect we all do.
I love records and still have some my original mono recordings from the sixties. I am inspired by vinyls resurrection but the recent advances in technology and the high costs have left me no option but to reexamine my priorities.
I support this hobby, and I also support anyone who tastes differ from mine.
Dreadhead, I'm curious. You say "I love records and still have some my original mono recordings from the sixties. I am inspired by vinyls resurrection but the recent advances in technology and the high costs have left me no option but to reexamine my priorities."

Is this directed mostly toward the price of the equipment, the records, or both?
A reasonable expectation for a 30k buck-ish turntable is that it kicks butt sonically and be a polished design significantly more robust, well built and problem-free etc than lesser priced 'tables. Anything less than Ferrari performance coupled with "Rolls Royce-like" construction with rigorous quality control backed by customer support and a service department closer to Nordstrom’s than to Goodwill's approach does not make the cut.

Some responders to this thread mentioned performance and quality issues with VPI products of which I've also experienced. I've received new products that were poorly built. I've experienced ineptitude & indifference without urgency to rectify their mistakes. Instead of having systems in place for QC, repairs, & support they seem to function on the wing-it principle.

I’ve had 2 similar issues separated by a bunch of years. Such as a new product that was defective from the start. VPI’s initial attempt to fix this was to send replacement parts that did not function correctly. I waited many weeks to receive replacements to those replacement parts. Those too did not function correctly. Then they said to return the defective product. Finally weeks after receipt VPI stated they'd send a NEW product. But they sent a USED one.

During the entire process, which took months, I was without a working product. The delay was exacerbated by the left hand being unaware of what the right hand was doing, for instance a service person declared the repair completed without knowing the extent of the problems that required repair. I received an apology which was nice but some of the issues they apologized for were different from ones I had.

Of course anything is possible. Still it seems remote that VPI can create a turntable that meets expectations of 30k buck-ish ones as so many changes are required including fundamental aspects of how this company operates.
Tubes, Your first paragraph describes my experience with SME products. I can't speak about VPI as I have no experience with the brand except for the VPI 16.5 RCM I used to own. I do think judgement regarding the performance and build quality of this new DD table should be withheld until there is some actual experience with it.