Second Cartridge With Transfiguration Phoenix

I use Phoenix with Graham Phantom tonearm over Acoustic Solid Royal TT (ARC Ref 2 SE phono stage). I really like what I hear bur decided to get a second cartridge with a second tonearm (will be Graham Phantom II Supreme) on the second tonearm plate with my TT. I am currently considering from a list of Shelter Harmony, Koetsu Onyx or Azule Platinum, Airtight PC-1 Supreme, Ortofon PW. My listening preferences are neutral, organic sound with a deep and wide soundstage, I do not prefer a specific bandwith dominating the test, I like details without sacrificing musicality as one can get why I like Phoenix. Of course one may either find a cartridge having similar sonic clothing with Phoenix while improving its virtues or alternatively can try to find a very different sound as complementing a neutral sounding cartridge like Phoenix, which I am not decided what to do. I will appreciate from current users or ones who have experience with those cartridges and if they were able to listen to some of them with the same setup. Thanks for your help.
number95
Hi Jmgrogan2, I presume the house sound of Proteus in terms of tonality and neutrality would be very similar, while the new flagship should have more of a refinement compared to Phoenix. I did not listen to Proteus but lived with Orpheus for 3-4 years. Although Orpheus was a better cartridge compared to Phoenix, they really shared so much, and I even concluded that Phoenix is slightly more musical while Orpheus is dynamically superior. If I go to Proteus over Phoenix, I would replace it with Phoenix. My aim is using two cartridges so even if I one day upgrade to Proteus, it does not effect my second tonearm/cartridge plan. I do not know exact price for the cartridge you mentioned but presume it is not more expensive than Koetsu Azule, so it is within budget, yes.
I second Jmcgrogan2's thought on the ZYX UNIverse II X-SB. It meets your description ("...neutral, organic sound with a deep and wide soundstage, I do not prefer a specific bandwith dominating the test, I like details without sacrificing musicality...") quite well... and a lot more. It's also known to be a good match for a Phantom. There's a review by my signature.

It's quite different from Koetsu, since it avoids the willful midrange colorations that line is noted for. I've A/B'd with the Onyx Platinum (or other models) in at least five systems and have always preferred the ZYX, at least for my tastes. For reference, I'm largely a classical and opera listener plus a little jazz, with a liking for original/authentic instrument recordings. Natural/lifelike reproduction with zero sonic fakery is my first priority.

Haven't heard the Harmony but compared to almost any ZYX my Shelter 901 sounds alot like a whoopie cushion. ;-)

UNIverse II retail is around $8500. If that's above the budget, the ZYX 4D provides 80% of what the UNI2 does for quite a bit less. Check with Mehran at SORAsound. One of the nicest guys in audio... bends over backwards for his customers.

Also consider Dynavector XV-1T (haven't heard it, but the XV-1S is pretty creditable, though lacking the UNI2's last degree of finesse, harmonic refinement and tonal purity).

Disclaimer: Mehran and I are friends and I occasionally assist his customers with cartridge questions and setup issues, for which I may receive a small consideration. The last 3 such people thought something in their system was broken. It proved to be nothing but small user adjustments which I talked them through, so the consideration was properly earned.

Thank you for sharing your views and experiences Doug. I will read the related reviews for Zyx Universe II. Yes, it is within my budget. Btw, I checked Zyx website and could not find universe, I see 4d and some other lines but not uni. Is that discontinued?
The UNIverse II is a current production model. All UNIverses are exclusive to SORAsound, I imagine that's why it's not on the ZYX site.

The exclusivity is Nakatsuka-san's way of honoring Mehran for providing the seed funding, as noted in my review of the original UNIverse.

Anyone interested in a UNIverse should contact Mehran at www.SORAsound.com. He sells direct in North America or via authorized local dealers in other markets.

4D is good, very good, but UNI2 is in another league. It has no peer that I've heard when it comes to finesse, clarity, tonal purity and low sound floor. It has the 4D's big dynamics too, maybe more so. Arthur Salvatore's review described it well too.

As for the Omega, I've heard it. ;-)

Here is some more information on the UNIverse II from the Sorasound website. I believe the UNIverse II is specifically designed for the North American market, of which Sorasound is the distributor.