Anything you can put between spikes and carpet?

I've been playing around with my speaker positioning and a recurring issue that I've never quite been able to satisfactorily resolve came up again. While my speakers - Verity Fidelios - have pretty long adjustable spikes on heavy brass footers, I never feel like they're making especially good contact with the subfloor under the carpet and pad. I think I could possibly tighten up my bass response with a more solid contact. Is there anything that I could put the speakers on that would give them a more solid coupling for bass purposes? I was thinking of some heavy MDF squares, or even Corian, but then of course the board is not coupled to the floor. Any thoughts?
grimace
The other thing I did, just last night, was to adjust the way I had the spikes set up. I guess since I bought them last year, I had the rear spikes significantly lower than the front ones to angle drivers back. This had been a sonic benefit with every other pair of speakers I've owned, especially the ones I had just prior to these, Spendor S8es. By accident, I was kneeling on my own listening chair with my head elevated above where it would be listening, and I noticed that the soundstage was much more coherent, forward, and three dimensional. Just to see what would happen I tipped the speakers onto their sides and adjusted the spike - front and back - to a uniform 2 1/8". Back in my chair with the adjusted spikes the soundstage coherence I'd heard while kneeling was still there and on the whole much improved. We'll call that a good thing found completely by accident. Still have to work on that bass though.

I use concrete stepping stones. They come in 12" and 16" sizes. And are cheap. I paid $1.39 ea. for my 12 inchers from Home Depot...
Thanks. the only big difference is, I no longer have the Spendors - though they were a great speaker. I had an opportunity last summer to pick up a pair of Verity Fidelio Encores and took the plunge.