Anything you can put between spikes and carpet?

I've been playing around with my speaker positioning and a recurring issue that I've never quite been able to satisfactorily resolve came up again. While my speakers - Verity Fidelios - have pretty long adjustable spikes on heavy brass footers, I never feel like they're making especially good contact with the subfloor under the carpet and pad. I think I could possibly tighten up my bass response with a more solid contact. Is there anything that I could put the speakers on that would give them a more solid coupling for bass purposes? I was thinking of some heavy MDF squares, or even Corian, but then of course the board is not coupled to the floor. Any thoughts?
grimace
Adona makes some long sharp cones to go through the layers of padding and carpet.
I use Timlub's method. And as the spikes are adjustable, I rock the speakers to figure which spikes I need to adjust to get them all seated firmly. I also use a level to set speakers.
The other thing I did, just last night, was to adjust the way I had the spikes set up. I guess since I bought them last year, I had the rear spikes significantly lower than the front ones to angle drivers back. This had been a sonic benefit with every other pair of speakers I've owned, especially the ones I had just prior to these, Spendor S8es. By accident, I was kneeling on my own listening chair with my head elevated above where it would be listening, and I noticed that the soundstage was much more coherent, forward, and three dimensional. Just to see what would happen I tipped the speakers onto their sides and adjusted the spike - front and back - to a uniform 2 1/8". Back in my chair with the adjusted spikes the soundstage coherence I'd heard while kneeling was still there and on the whole much improved. We'll call that a good thing found completely by accident. Still have to work on that bass though.

I use concrete stepping stones. They come in 12" and 16" sizes. And are cheap. I paid $1.39 ea. for my 12 inchers from Home Depot...