Sloped baffle

Some great speakers have it, some don't. Is it an important feature?
psag
Ngjockey and Bombaywalla ... I find the issue of phase coherence to be intellectually interesting. I also find Roy's article and the article Ng... provided to be equally interesting. If I had the time, if there were more B&M stores around with a variety of speaker types, and if the salepeople were game to burn time to experiment, I'd love to build up a personal anecdotal portfolio of experiences.

To date I have only one data point, which is almost useless. I spent 90 mins about 2 years ago with Vandy Treos. They just didn't do it for me. Imagaging, soundstage and musicality were nonextant.

And if the pushback is that they weren't set up correctly, or wrong cabling, wrong positoning, not leveled, and so forth, my response is .... still not impressed. Even if the Treos would have taken me to the 8th dimension if all the foregoing variables were controlled ... I am still not convinced. I want to flip the switch and listen to music. Not interested in using an oscilliscope to figure out how to enjoy music.

This is a fascinating thread. I hope it will continue to attract more comments from folks who have relevant experiences.

BIF
I believe one of the members had posted that the tweeter is 180 degrees out-of-phase in a 2nd order system.
I believe that this is wrong info. If you read Roy Johnson's 1997 article in Audio Ideas Guide he says otherwise & I quote
Contrary to popular belief, the 180-degree shift doesn't mean that the tweeter is out of phase with the woofer. It merely leads the woofer output by 180-degrees, or half of the wavelength of the crossover frequency....
Figure 5b also shows that the amplitude response (derived from steady-state tones) will have an infinite 'suck-out' Tw + W. At first glance, this cancellation does, indeed, seem exactly like that caused by a tweeter with reversed polarity. What is really true is that the time delay is causing cancellation on steady tones, because the time delay at the crossover frequency is half of a wave cycle, 1/(2f) seconds.
To 'fix' the problems of the system, a designer will often reverse the tweeter's wires to invert its polarity. Although the steady-state results shown in Figure 6a look much smoother, in reality this is because the graph for the tweeter's phase has had 180 degrees subtracted.

This seemingly minor point forms the basis for the many claims of 'phase-coherent' performance, which, at best, is a half-truth. The graph now shows 'a smooth rate of phase-angle change at the crossover point.' But it isn't smooth from the perspective of time passing by. In fact, regardless of how smooth this curve appears, the woofer and tweeter still have the same sequence of arrival as before.

Reversing the tweeter polarity only means that the tweeter is moving inward on the initial pulse while the woofer moves outward. This is evident in the square wave response in Figure 6b: The tweeter is pulling in while the woofer is pushing out. At the highest frequencies, the tweeter still arrives as before (in Figure 5), and now its absolute polarity will still be backwards.

I think that Al already provided us a link to this 1997 article so I will not repeat it here.

I want to flip the switch and listen to music. Not interested in using an oscilliscope to figure out how to enjoy music.
precisely! Even more reason to own a time-coherent speaker. Time-coherent speakers, when compared to non-time-coherent speakers, when properly designed, will be more dynamic, more true to the recorded music & simply more realistic. That's the kind of speaker to have in one's room if you want to simply "flip the switch and listen to music". With time-coherent speakers you will leave the oscilloscope on the test rack (where it belongs) & you listen to music.

Problem is that we don't hear distortion as distortion, not unless you have the trained hearing of a professional under controlled conditions. It can be measured by instruments but human brains interpret those as frequency differences and there could be any number of explanations including comb filtering, diffraction, or the driver. Almost as easily, they can be masked.

So, forget the test, it's useless.
I think that this is a bad attitude to have. Basically this says, "you are not trained to listen & you are not getting it, so drop this issue & don't make the effort to learn. keep the status quo".
I say that if one wants to become a better audiophile, a better listener, a better consumer, one should challenge oneself to reach higher & try to understand things that are at this time outside one's grasp. One should challenge one's norm or the norm & you might find out that there is indeed a better way to do things & this enlightenment might bring more satisfaction & joy in listening to music.

if you surf the Green Mtn Audio website, there are article on how to listen. http://greenmountainaudio.com/how-to-listen-to-music/

http://greenmountainaudio.com/how-to-choose-speakers/

One needs to understand that if a speaker is not time-coherent, no other parameter will make up for this. When it comes to time-coherence, you cannot juggle it/trade it off w/ other design parameters - you either have time-coherence or you don't.
Time coherence is not a 'fascinating' concept or idea. It's real & properly implemented makes the difference between enjoying music & listening to top quality sound.....
Bomb,

That was not my intended meaning. Simply put, we're human.
Obviously you have your opinion and I'm not trying to argue, passive aggresively or otherwise. I may have reacted a bit sarcastic when I thought you overstated.

Perhaps you can explain something to me. In GMA's specs, they state phase shift acoustically over given frequencies. Does that mean impedance phase (reactance) or total phase? Either way, impressive.
Hi Ngjockey,
OK, thanks for the clarification. :-)
In GMA's specs, they state phase shift acoustically over given frequencies. Does that mean impedance phase (reactance) or total phase? Either way, impressive.
this is really a question for Roy Johnson (who designs these speakers) but from my many detailed chats with him & from my ownership of his speakers, I believe that he is citing total phase shift - it's acoustical & electrical combined. The driver selection is critical to achieve this kind of minimal phase response.
If you read that same Audio Ideas Guide article he clearly states that driver selection is key & I quote
.....What he means is that the drivers must be well-behaved far beyond their crossover points to be used with a first-order circuit, because this circuit allows the drivers to overlap across a wide range. To be used with a first-order crossover, only the best drivers need apply.
The "he" in the above quote is referring to Siegfried Linkwitz, just FYI.

Roy J: you might want to chime in to clarify your speaker spec. Thanks.
I have a little experience with owning Thiel 1.2's. I think they were suppose to be phase and time coherent. At home I have never heard a speaker do most things as well as them. It seemed to me the musical cloth was all from one piece. No discontinuities. I could follow the scale up and down the piano without a noticeable bulge or reticence on a certain frequency, and not imagine it was real, because it sounded as real as it could get as a recording, even though that speaker was not state of the art even in Thiel's lineup. That allowed me to enjoy the flow and nuances of the musical presentation better than anything I have ever had. Some speakers convey an instrument truer in some senses than my Theils to me, and some have conveyed the recording venue better, or spacing of images, macro dynamics, and other attributes better, but not the whole musical package. To me the Thiel's presented a realistic presentation of the whole. It was to me, like everything presented fit. It doesn't seem to do it justice to break it down in descriptive terms but it seemed relatively speaking it didn't get more real the that.
So I have always been curious to hear the sound of Green Mtn spkrs. Maybe someday. I have heard Vandersten 2ce's, so while I didn't care for the warmness of the spkr I did notice a whole cloth sound that was easy to see the whole picture of the musical presentation.