Sloped baffle

Some great speakers have it, some don't. Is it an important feature?
psag
Bombaywalla, ... that;s for the links. I started reading into the threads. This is very complicated stuff. And I thought getting my arms around amp and speaker compatibility was tough. Speaker design is a beast. I will return to these threads over the weekend.

In the end, as it seems to be the case with end end electronic gear, we're talking about design compromises. No perfect solutions ... just trade-offs that hopefully result in a product that sounds good.

Thanks
I think so, but only if in combination with 1st order crossovers as used by Thiel and Vandersteen, revealing a coherent time-aligned step response.
Bifwynne,
welcome.
I figured that these links would NOT be wasted on you. :-)
indeed, speaker design is a complicated affair. Fully understanding what's going on takes skill, knowledge & experience as speaker design involves the mechanical aspect of actually building the speaker but also understanding what the electrical effect of the x-over is to the mechanical aspect. It's an inter-disciplinary expertise.

In those links, there's a lot of chatter by members who don't know what they are talking about & by those who are airing their thoughts & experiences. You can skip over that which will shorten the reading time. Pay closer attention to the speaker manuf posts. Those are revealing in info.

Well, now that you have the amp-speaker interface licked :-) it's time to go a bit downstream & understand what that electrical-to-sound transducer is all about...
IMHO, the first link is perhaps the best thread ever to appear on audiogon, Roy Johnson of Green Mountain Audio was especially generous in sharing his thoughts.
I've come to believe that some are more sensitive and/or prioritize these specific attributes more than others. Quite by accident, I've come to accept that these design principles are very important
Bombaywalla ... I read as much of the discussions as I could before falling asleep at 1:30am in the morning. No surprise ... the physical science is way over my head. But I do have some take-a-ways that I would like to share. As a threshold matter, I ask whether we are "polishing a turd" as a practical matter.

As a warm up, there was some discussion which addressed whether using mics to record a musical presentation accurately captured the complex sound wave information that emanated from the multiple performers and instruments. One poster said that all a mic could do was sample a point in 3-D space, thereby missing a considerable amount of sonic/acoustical information. Even using multiple mics, while an improvement, still left much sonic information "on the floor," figuratively speaking.

Next ... the mastering process. So called sound engineers manipulate the sonic information that was imperfectly recorded at the live performance. The result is more sonic contortion and distortion.

Let's skip the next steps relating to the reproduction and transmission of source material via the various media used today (e.g., LP, CD, SACD, internet downloads, etc) and the electronics used to decode the information back into analogue electrical signals that are fed into the speakers. Suffice to say that additional contortions and distortions are infused into the analogue signal before it even reaches the speakers.

Ok, we're now at the speakers and a whole new set of issues present themselves. The bottom line challenge is that our speakers have to reproduce, more like reconstruct, the complex electrical analogue signals back into sound waves that are in phase through the whole harmonic spectrum.

And here the engineering problems and challenges are almost insurmountable: designing a system using multiple drivers that are mounted on a baffle (sloped or not sloped) to reproduce a point complex source sonic wave front that is the same as the original signal, even as modified by the sound engineers at the studio. My take-a-way is that the speaker designer can solve one problem, but create 5 more.

I don't want to embarrass myself by trying to faithfully restate what was said in the various posts. Suffice to say there are physical science challenges presented with every electrical and mechanical component that makes up a complete speaker system. At best ... what reaches our ears is the product of price point driven compromises that are ultimately limited by the laws of physical science.

My bottom line take-a-way is if "it" sounds good, "it" is good. Sure, we can and should audition speakers. Some will sound better than others. But to think any one speaker has perfectly solved all the engineering challenges and is able to faithfully reproduce a point source complex sound wave at the listening point is a pipe dream ... more like shear nonsense.

Perhaps that may be the reason many audiophiles and reviewers say that while specs and stats are informative ... in the end, what counts the most is how a speaker **subjectively** sounds to THAT listener, plugged into THAT listener's rig, positioned in THAT listener's sound room, and so forth.

And to me, that is what makes our hobby fun. Right now, I am listening to Eugene Ormandy, conducting the Philly Orchestra, performing a suite of various Saint-Saens selections. I am still enjoying the music even though it is being imperfectly reproduced by my imperfect rig.

Cheers,

Bruce