two way v. three way speakers

I recently heard some magico mini's at a friend's house. They sounded amazing. And they were 'only' a two way speakers, but they filled the room with amazing sound. So now I wonder, what does the additional driver add, especially when it is the same size as the second driver. For example, the SF Olympica III's have two drivers of the same size. I know that third driver adds a lot to the price, but what does it sonically? Thank you all in advance.
elegal
Dear Peter,

I have a suggestion for your friend Ian. I read his thoughts about the .8 series. He is using MIT and Shunyata powercables. I know them well, they are not that special.

I owned the best MIT powercables in the past. Purist Audio is way superior in powercables compared to MIT. Shunyata has the same kind of properties MIT owns.

The Purist powercables are a lot more intimate. Better controled in the low freq. and even go deeper. Mid freq. are a lot more open compared to MIT.

Maybe he has a chance to listen to Purist Audio powercables like the Limited edition. But ask for the one with Oyaide M1/F1 connectors.
The problems he describes about the bass could be caused by his powercables. I tested a few recent MIT powercables. They were too bass heavy. I also did not like the individual focus of instruments and voices. They are too big.
A good two way is usually easier to maintain and more WAF acceptable. That said a properly setup three way can add excitement, pleasure and even ecstasy to the relationship.

You must take into account that a good three way is not easy to set up and you have to make sure your wife is on board before even trying. In the end it could lead to jealousy or even a separation of the two way relationship. Go slow, listen carefully, because there is a lot at stake.
The freedom you own for speaker choice all depends about how much your wife loves you.

It is al about love! :)