Shocking 3D sound in 2 channel

I've had it happen a few times where my brain actually thought the center image was real. Somehow the imaging lined up so well that my brain sensed physical objects in front of me - not just a believable illusion.

Can all speakers do this if set up right? Are there some that do this without fail? Was I just imagining it?
128x128michaelkingdom
BTW: I've heard crappy pressings of the Amused to Death CD(exact same Columbia UPC 074644712728) that miserably failed to reproduce 3D effects, when compared with a good disc, on a system that performed wonderfully. SO- If you do try the Roger Waters, and it doesn't perform as expected; it may not be your system.
Rodman...having said that, if they do try the vinyl version of "Amused to Death" they are more likely to be seriously impressed than not. ;)

A friend lent me his $400 dollar acquisition and it was unbelievably good. (I was also flattered that he trusted me so much because I only found out about the price later(!)) :D
Michael,
They are right, of course. It is a combination of speaker behaviour, room acoustics and T/T+phonostage attributes. Try Martin Logan electrostats at varying degrees of tilt, or even alter the arrangement of the soft furnishings along with your listening position and you will see/hear what I mean.

Personally, I'm not a room acoustics purist so I fully enjoy wraparound sound featuring tall images which can even appear standing right next to the listener's chair at full height.

A good example of this was a well known female artist who was singing front and centre while her other "selves" were harmonising/rapping in the L+R channels. With a particular turntable (an LP12), rather than residing at the loudspeakers, her other selves appeared standing on either side of my listening chair - 6 feet tall and so real I could touch them. (Try this trick with a CD and you'll be out of luck... ;)

Some turntables accentuate the vividness and reality of these "phase effects", effectively causing sounds to appear from the rear corners of the room. :)
Again it is very much recording dependent.
It is a fun hobby :)
Enjoy.
All the best,
Mr Moon- An easy case to make, in general(ambiance recovery/vinyl vs CD). I'm guessing your friend has quite a record collection? Would they be interested in adopting a new son?
Rod,
He does indeed and I've discovered more than one or 2 newer bands/artists thanks to his generous nature. ;^)

All the best m8,