When is a Listening Room Too Big

I've always considered the interaction of your choosen speaker and the size/type of listening room to be step one in getting the best sound possible. A speaker too big for your room will overload everything and ruin the sound, a small speaker in a really large room might only work well with nearfield listening.

Here's my question; when does a listening room become too large? Lets say you have a nice speaker like a Magnepan 20.7; my current room is 17.5 w x 26 L x 9 h. As I design and build my next dedicated listening room, what dimensions should I aim for? Is 21 w x 31 L x 10 h too big?

Paul Klipsch always said that the best measured rooms typically fall in a range where the width is around 67% of the length...
stickman451
Stickman451,
why did you not look at the info provided by George Cardas on this subject? it's been on his website for a really long time. Or, should I assume you've already read this & still have questions??
here's a link: http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_faq_page1.php

there's a lot more info the Cardas website which should interest you.....
Thanks.

The best sound for me happens when a speaker " loads the room " with sound. The bigger the room the more air must move for that to happen. I not a big fan of large speakers,, ---big speakers big problems---
Um, sell the house and give some money to charity?!
Or but some big Tannoys or better yet Kinoshita RM-7V!