Quandry: Used Magico V2 vs. new S1

It is time to update my speakers. I have a lead on a nice used pair of V2's which probably can be gotten for $9 -$9.5K, vs a new pair of S1's that list for $12.6K. I like the Magico sound, have heard the V2 but not the S1, although I will try before making a decision. There will be no opportunity to hear them side by side so separate auditions may not be meaningful unless the S1's greatly disappoint.

Any thoughts, Comrades? You know how traumatic it is to change speakers.

Thanks,

Neal
nglazer
I can't say I found the S5's slow at all Bol. They use the same midrange driver as the Q3, although optimized for that speaker of course & basically the same berylium tweeter, only not manufactured in house. As for the twin 10" bass drivers, ok they may not be as fast as the smaller 7" bass drivers on the Q3, but imho they are plenty fast and more importantly, give a solid foundation to the sound with large orchestral pieces with kick drums, timpani, organ pipes and double basses. Perhaps most important of all (for me atleast), the S5's are wonderfully balanced and coherent, and a bit laid back and very easy to listen to. Some speakers like YG & Marten can be fatiguing to listen to in long listening sessions. Yes, the Q3's may be better, but for $10k less, frankly i'd rather put that into adding some Stillpoints isolation & bringing forward electronics upgrades. In other words, build around your speakers and optimize your system to get the very best out of them.
Guys,
Please... Diffractions are caused by corners (which the S5 does not have) not baffle width. In fact the ideal speaker will have an infant baffle... Most, if not all these discrepancies you are describing are due to poor set-ups. These are extremely reveling speakers, and one has to use utmost care in setting them up. Unfortunately, there are very few dealers that takes the time and/or have the knowledge to do that.
It's no quandry, go listen and decide for yourself. Ultimately it's your $$ and have to live with them unless you want Bol to move in. I'm surprise you haven't got a recommendation for Vandersteen, JBL 1400 or Monitor Audio yet. LOL!!!

When I was in the market for speakers ~7 months ago, I demoed Magico Q3 for 5+ hrs at Goodwin High End in 2 systems. One all Spectral and the other MSB Dac, Constellation amp and EAR pre. Spectral system gave me a headache after 30 minutes. Overall I found Q3 is a bit lean in the mid bass region but a nice speaker. It's high resolution, detail and very transparent but just not for me.
I did not say slow, I prefer a faster response in the low freq. Other Magico's were better in response.
@Bol, most high end speakers have some level of compromise, unless you're as rich as you apparently are.