moving on from Emotiva UMC-200 pre/processor

I like this Emotiva unit, but got it just before deciding to upgrade almost everything in my system. I can still return it tho and am now hoping to setup the two front channels as follows:

Thiel CS2.7 (or something just as transparent if I find it)
Amp to match the Thiels (Pass Labs x-150, Peachtree 220, suggestions?)

I realize it's a pretty open ended question, but can someone suggest other 7+ multi channel pre/processors to match the above hypothetical system?

Thanks,
hazyj
hazyj
Thanks all. I'm not going the theater route, though I'm sure I'll have fun with that at some point. At this point separates make the most sense for me as I'm trying to keep it all really flexible - I've got a DAC and a passive 2-ch pre on the way. That's the plan ... for now:-)
I oppted for the Emotiva over the Oppo 105 as the analogue dacs sounded rather thin in the midrange/bass due to the high resolution and extension it has.The Emotiva beat it in 2/5 channel analogue hands down. Great eq-ing in the emotiva. Also, if you have different speaker ranges or sizes the oppo can only crossover everything at the same value - no independent crossovers. I found with the oppo for 2 channel with a subwoofer the front speakers need to be on small for the sub to run hence if you have full range floorstanding horns like me you can't run them large( full range) and utilize the sub for the lower ranges below 35hz. In home theatre 5.1 the sub will work either way. I sold my 105 and purchased the 103 for just the video processing which is identical to the 105 and saved $650 dollars. I am awaiting the Emotiva XMC-1 to try and see how it measures up compared to the UMC-200.
One can prefer whatever preferences one has, but the Emotiva UMC-200 does not best the Oppo 105. It sounds like you've been buying and selling components frequently. I advise slowing down. Don't buy the XMC just because it's being released. Give it time to make sure it doesn't have bugs, and that Dirac has been implemented properly. Dirac isn't even included yet. They want you to buy it with the promise that Dirac is coming!

I don't know why they didn't wait to release it until it was ready with Dirac. Some suspect Emotiva was cash strapped and needing to see some return on their(6 year) investment in the XMC. I suspect they released it early to temp Emotiva buyers away from the new format that's coming, Dolby Atmos, something they don't have. Either way, it's been an uneven and jerky ride waiting for them to come up with an XMC to sell, so I'd be a little patient. After all, it's outclassed in the feature department by almost any 1000 receiver with pre-outs.
Just remember, you WILL be losing out on the dynamics side of things, in absolute terms, going the passive route with your thiels! I'll put a good active preamp up against a passive approach, virtually every time, from my years of exerience,when it comes to properly producing dynamic transparency from a system. Not properly oversimplifying the initial signal before the amp section, will cost you in that area. I know...used to use direct from DVD and CD players -as well as both Mcormmick and Pass L preamps - in conjunction w many many different amplifier choices, with several Thiel loudspeakers (stereo n multi config). ..it's MUCH, stronger dynamically using a high quality active preamp in the system!
Just something to consider. ..maybe experiment???
Avo-
What good passive pres have you listened to?

By properly oversimplifying the initial signal do you mean properly preparing the input signal for the input of the amp? If not what do you mean by oversimplifying?

I do think I'll experiment, but am guessing already that the quality of a passive that I'm looking for will be too expensive. I'll probably start with a Placette Passive Linestage to at least see if I like it better than the Emotiva and then go from there by comparing with a good active in the same price range ($1500 used most likely).

Thanks,
Hazyj