RIP Panny Plasmas

Just saw a report on CNBC that Panasonic is planning on exiting the plasma business by March 2014. Can't say I'm overly surprised but still a bummer. Hope the others aren't following suit soon.
soix
Jafant
"Which company will prevail as the new Plasma TV king?"

It looks like Samsung will probably emerge as the plasma leader with LG still selling models, too. I may be forgetting a few others but I have a feeling OLED is going to surpass even the best 2013 Panasonic plasma models in the near future. I'd keep an eye out for more affordable new OLED models most likely from Sony and Panasonic and a few other companies that can afford, and have the forsight and inclination, to invest in OLED research and development.
I'm bullish on OLED for several reasons: it doesn't require backlighting, just like plasma, so it will have the same excellent off-axis viewing ability and screen uniformity. It has the ability to get brighter than plasma which will mean excellent contrast ratios and bright room performance. It is as energy efficient and lightweight as current LED/LCD models. Lastly, OLED allows for the thinnest displays yet produced.
As far as I know, the only downside is the panels ability to sustain its picture quality excellence over a long period, especially its blue color performance which currently tends to diminish over time.
Should be interesting times ahead,
Tim
Jafant
"Does Fujitsu still produce plasma?"

Fujitsu was one of the first companies to leave the plasma market, in 2005, years before Pioneer and then Panasonic decided to leave. They're currently producing products related to the computer market.
As far as I know, they have no plans to re-enter the video display market but I wish they would.

Tim
Pulled the trigger on a Panasonic Plasma 55VT60 the other day, should arrive on Saturday. Very tired of watching the 2" blue line on the Samsung for the past few months.
Hopefully this one will bring better longevity, and why yes, I do have the Pangea cord to hook it up with ;-).