That "tube sound" and power ratings

This might be a newbie question since I've only begun researching tube technology. I understand to some degree the theory that tube sound is partly related to second harmonic distortion vs. the more prevalent odd order harmonic characteristics of SS. If "tubies" prefer that sound (I might be one of them), does it make sense to carefully match an amplifier's power rating such that it is NOT TOO HIGH for the speakers it's driving? If the rating is too high won't that mean lower distortion and hence less tube sound for a given volume for those speakers than a lower power tube amp (in general that is - I realize not all Watts are the same). So won't a high wattage tube amp have less of the special tube sound "tubies" like at their preferred listening volume?

I realize I'm likely missing something here. Set me straight!
hazyj
Note that most tube amps (and some SS amps) soft clip which is why fewer watts seem to go further. But the clipping still occurs, though it will take more volume before the results become clearly unpleasant. But any clipping is distortion. You loose dynamics whic is what adds the excitement to a lot of music. If you don't care about that and only listen to small ensemble chamber music, you might be fine, but eventually you may realize what you are missing and look elsewhere.
Look, solid state uses electron junctions that are squished inside doped silicon. In tubes, electrons are free and happy. All Watts are the same ;-)
Wow. Quick first responses! But before this gets too far in, I better qualify that I didn't mean that I'm new to EE or Physics or high-end audio listening. However, I am new to tubes as they're used in audio equipment. So my question is only partially about the physics/engineering behind tube implementation in audio. I realize that theory and circuitry may very well be part of any good explanation, so I don't want to discourage it. But the main question is about what tube enthusiasts like to hear and how they achieve that sound at their preferred listening levels.

I think Atmasphere understands where I'm coming from. In fact he/she may have answered part of my question, but I'd like to hear other viewpoints.

Mapman, I'm sure you have some good insight now that (hopefully) I've explained a bit better. I'm sure you know more about the subject than me and I look forward to more input from you. However my question is more subjective than came across. How does a tube enthusiast choose the right power for their system given that they actually may prefer more distortion of the right harmonics? If they choose a higher power amp I'm assuming (and yes I might be wrong!) that there will be less of the DESIRED distortion that adds to the fun of tubes.

Czarivey, I appreciate the input but you misunderstood the point that not all watts are created equal. They most certainly are not, or we'd all have $200 Bose equipment and stop there.
OK. Let's please get off my "not all Watts are the same" comment. I didn't realize it would be so badly misunderstood - my mistake. Just so it's understood - I'm perfectly aware what a watt is and is not, so let's move on ...
The tube amps that have the most unique sound compared to the norm are probably those made well and with little or no Negative feedback applied, like Atmaspheres.