Your most disappointing purchase or audition?

I've had a few.

bought a Naim Nait 3. Loved it in the store. Returned it within a week- way forward at home

Brought home some CJ preamp to audition perhaps 22 years ago. Noisy as anything and a turn off transient destroyed a tweeter (though years later i bought a CJ 17LS2 which I thought was the finest preamp I ever heard in my home)

Auditioned a VPI table (HW19) in a store- the store just could not get the belt to stay on. Bought a Rega instead. This was in perhaps 1990.

Fortunately, I never really experienced buyers remorse say 6 months or more after settling on a piece of gear.

Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.
128x128zavato
Trelja,
The only Acoustic Zen speaker I've heard is their Crescendo on 3 different occasions driven by the fine Triode CORP 845 PSET amplifiers. This combination was wonderful sounding each time and I was able to play my own familiar music.

Honestly, no one brand or model of anything is capable of pleasing everyone, too many variables and circumstances. Name any speaker on this thread and a rave comment will inevitably be followed by a negative comment. The nature of the beast. I'm currently under audiogon moderator scrutiny now, so who knows when this reply will post.
Charles,
Now what did you do or say that would warrant scrutiny Charles? A case to your point Charles, the post above yours by Panhead concerning the MBL's. I too heard them at Axponia a few years back two different times during the day. First time was ok but nothing that really made me take notice. They made a few adjustments and when I came back to that room later in the day it was as if I was listening to a different speaker, they were just glorious, particularly on orchestral music. I've heard these speakers several times over the past 20 years or so with varying impressions. One thing for sure, they like and need plenty of space.

Sometimes people make a judgement based on an anecdotal experience that may not be optimal.
I've never heard mbl at shows come close to a properly set up showroom, even when both are done by the same seller.

So take what you hear at shows with a grain of salt there.
Tubegroover,
Your comments are true, particular circumstances and conditions can have significant influence so I try to factor that in. Ironically I usually find myself in agreement with Trelja more often than not, well we'll just differ in this case.
Regarding the moderator, someone didn't like my comments on a current thread concerning his Magico speakers so he reported me.Now my posts have to be approved.
Charles,