Your most disappointing purchase or audition?

I've had a few.

bought a Naim Nait 3. Loved it in the store. Returned it within a week- way forward at home

Brought home some CJ preamp to audition perhaps 22 years ago. Noisy as anything and a turn off transient destroyed a tweeter (though years later i bought a CJ 17LS2 which I thought was the finest preamp I ever heard in my home)

Auditioned a VPI table (HW19) in a store- the store just could not get the belt to stay on. Bought a Rega instead. This was in perhaps 1990.

Fortunately, I never really experienced buyers remorse say 6 months or more after settling on a piece of gear.

Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.
128x128zavato
Krell 300i. Couldn't wait to get it out of my system, and I'm a Krell fan. Weak sound, lousy bass, lack of resolution, noisy, ...
All these negatives about MF. How about the Nuvista amplifier, isn't Michael Fremer still using that amp after all these years? I'm not familiar with the brand but must say it is amazing that something so poor sounding is still around, mediocrity yes I get that but worse than some of those receivers from the 70's and early 80's, I had a few of those too. And speaking of mediocrity I hear you Trejla on the Legacy line which mirrors my experience. I've never heard a set-up with any of their speakers that made me want to even remotely consider them yet they do indeed have nice cabinets. Never heard the Whispers. I felt the Focus on one set-up might be considered worthy in the midrange. That was a long time ago and time marches on. My most recent experience at Axponia was that they are what they are and always have been to my ears, not bad but most of the music is hiding somewhere and all I see and hear is a speaker, yawn.
Trelja,
The only Acoustic Zen speaker I've heard is their Crescendo on 3 different occasions driven by the fine Triode CORP 845 PSET amplifiers. This combination was wonderful sounding each time and I was able to play my own familiar music.

Honestly, no one brand or model of anything is capable of pleasing everyone, too many variables and circumstances. Name any speaker on this thread and a rave comment will inevitably be followed by a negative comment. The nature of the beast. I'm currently under audiogon moderator scrutiny now, so who knows when this reply will post.
Charles,