Your most disappointing purchase or audition?

I've had a few.

bought a Naim Nait 3. Loved it in the store. Returned it within a week- way forward at home

Brought home some CJ preamp to audition perhaps 22 years ago. Noisy as anything and a turn off transient destroyed a tweeter (though years later i bought a CJ 17LS2 which I thought was the finest preamp I ever heard in my home)

Auditioned a VPI table (HW19) in a store- the store just could not get the belt to stay on. Bought a Rega instead. This was in perhaps 1990.

Fortunately, I never really experienced buyers remorse say 6 months or more after settling on a piece of gear.

Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.
128x128zavato
Syntax,
I learned a lesson from my experience with the Pass X 250.5. I bought it mainly because of all the positive professional and user reviews that I read. Since then, if I am unable to listen to a speaker or component before buying it, which is almost always, I rely more on Audiogon members whose tastes are close to mine in the components they own, and the type of sound they describe as their preference. It has worked out better for me.
Earlier in this thread for instance, one member said that he really disliked the Coincident Total Eclipse. I never owned them, but I really like them. I respect his opinion and preference, but realize that we have different priorities in sound reproduction. There are other members who like many of the same things that I do, so I put more weight on their recommendations.
Another vote for MF.

Back in the day, HiFi Heretic magazine listed the Music Fidelity B1 integrated amp as one of the 10 best buys in Audio along with the B&K ST140, Spica TC50s and I forget what else. Was lucky enough to find a B1 with an owners manual so I snapped it up. Wanted to run from the room every time it was on. Mated up to ProAc Studio 1's which I believe were also on the 10 best list too.
My most disappointing purchase was a Threshold S-200 way back when I first discovered this whole high end biz. I purchased it based on the performance of the SA-1's which were quite a different beast. It wasn't a bad sounding amp it just looked better than the NAD I liked as much during the audition period but was assured by the salesman that the Threshold was definitely better and twice the price. In any case I kept it for a few years before realizing that I just wasn't involved with the music. Sold it overseas to some guy in Norway for what I paid, he loved it.

I hear you Marty on the early ML Sequels, horrible integration of the drivers. I couldn't imagine who would purchase those speakers until I saw a guy lay down the green at my local dealer. I wasn't too fond of the CLS either for that matter but at least no integration issues. ML has come a long way since those early days.
Definitely the pair of Infinity Renaissance 90's I bought from A'gon member
Lschwartz. He described them as being in excellent condition, so after
some discussion I went ahead and had them crated and shipped to
Australia. On arrival I found 'textor' repairs covering up dings, and one grill
(which is integral to the design of the R90 like Avalon) had a damaged peg
and damaged/discoloured cloth. The damaged peg meant the grill hung
away from the speaker ruining the imaging. I then contacted LSchwartz
who suggested I buy a replacement grill from his friend who was selling a
"NOS" example on Ebay (probably the original grill). I tried twice to buy the
grill from this guy who twice cancelled my 'buy now' option. The seller then
stuffed me around for weeks just to give me false hope. In the end I sold
the speakers at a heavy loss. Lschwartz sold me a lemon, lied about the