Which Pre-Amp Pass Labs or Audio Research

I`m now using The Pass X350 Power Amp and a Audio Research upgraded LS22 preamp. I`ve also used the Ref5 both preamps sound great the Ref5 was just adorable much better control etc. Im wondering would the Pass Xp20 or Xp30 be a better way to go. I`v heard the AR preamps are much better than the Pass Labs Preamps.
813_sheridan
"AR has tubes and adds harmonics and bloom but timbre isn't accurate - it has more of a whitish sound, but beautiful just the same."

How do you know the timbre isn't accurate on the AR? As far as I know, there's no way to measure timbre.
I had an XP20 with X350. It sounded amazing!! I am not a fan of audio research based on the few times I heard them in showrooms so I would clearly suggest the pass.
Thanks Guys, I`ve been into tubes since the 70`s and have been thinking about change but could never get the information you wonderful audio enthusiastic enthusiast have supplied me with. I have one questioned the preamps before the xp10-20-30 the X2.0 its a possibility I can get it for a pretty fair price should I or go with one of the newer preamps? Best regards, 813Sheridan
most the reviews are saying that everything in the current xp lineup are better than the older x pre's but i have not heard the older ones myself.
It sounds as though you enjoyed the Ref5. What was wrong with that setup? What do you feel are your current deficiencies sonically that you want to improve on? That information might help make a more useful recommendation.

Michael