High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
"Minorl, sugar is sweet to an infant as to an adult. Bitterness requires a learning curve."

Okayyy, I absolutely have no idea what this means or what it has to do with the subject. But, maybe I missed something. was/is someone bitter?

enjoy
The current crop of high end manufactures sell to an ever decreasing crowd of old fools.
This is such a load of BS. I went to the Newport Beach Audio show three times and there were a flood of people there in their 20s and 30s…..far far more than the old grandpas in their 50s and 60s like myself. And many many presenters of systems were younger too. So there clearly is an interest by the younger crowd of likely high-educated and thus more able to afford the systems.
Mapman what a great idea to start a charity funded by rich audiophiles. How many audiophiles (attorneys, doctors) have gone out and purchased a very expensive system as a status symbol, a trophy as to impress the world they have the means and way to buy what some of us could only dream of, only to let it go because they didn't have the time or interest to listen to such a system. I think I have more respect for an audiophile that has invested the money methodically, piece by piece over a period of time to reach their goal. We shall make you the secretary of treasurer to oversee this charity.
That's really cool, Jafox. But how many of these people in their 20s and 30s are just looking at the equipment instead of buying? That's the $64000 question!
Since this audio game is on it's last leg and is going to wind up crashing like Radio Shack. Why don't we all just sell our gear and donate it to a charity. Maybe it will give Audiophiles a better name. And then let the young people be the next generation with their headphones and computers.