High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
"Most people wworry more about sound quality and features, and less about "build quality"."

Whoops, forgot to say they also care about aesthetics. Build quality may factor into that aspect of it as well.
Kids today don't want to fuss and fight over mm or mc or this power cord or that philosophy how to achieve the best sound i.e. tubes or s.s. They want to listen to music whole cd's even and not just the one track or two from the dead can dance or the Eagles or whatever. Anybody notice the music festivals around. Kinda hard not to becasue they are eveywhere! Live music, theres some immediacy. You know the last time I got total body goosebumps was listening to the dead through my shitty work truck stereo. I enjoy my system at home I do and don't like the hassle of going to shows anymore its a time thing really as well as getting older maybe. I digress what I really wanted to say is there is some awesome awesome music outhere and the kids know it and are listening to it. just don't turn on the radio and expect it to be there. So don't try to tell yourself the kids don't have taste or todays music doesnt' have anything to say cause thats outtatouch bigtime. $ is the real reason plain and simple. That and there is so much B.S. in this game its sickening actually and kids are not as gullible as some audiophiles.
Kids today don't want to fuss and fight over mm or mc or this power cord or that philosophy how to achieve the best sound i.e. tubes or s.s.

Meaning what?
Meaning, IMO, that many (operative word) kids today have little and, arguably, insufficient appreciation of one of the most important life lessons: the value of "process". IOW, what it takes to achieve true understanding of and insight into problems and problem solving related to issues, big and small. Many want results NOW without being willing to do the hard work necessary and that may not be obviously and immediately rewarding.

And guess who is to blame? Not just the changing social and cultural landscape, but we the parents who give them too much and don't challenge them enough and let them struggle.