Pass Integrated to Pass separates

Hello - I'm considering upgrading my pass int-150 to xp-10 and XA.60.5's (maybe even 100's). The problem I'm facing is my source components aren't the best. I have a vpi scout 2 and a ps audio phone pre, although (this is embarrassing) most of the music I listen to is through sonos. I'm wondering if this upgrade might be pointless and I should instead upgrade my source components first (cd/dac and phono).

One thought I had was to do the upgrade as planned and get an oppo 105 to hold me over until I'm ready for a big boy digital source. The truth in all of this is I'll probably continue to primarily listen through sonos (sorry I love it). What I'm really after is just more of the pass sound, I can't get enough, it's intoxicating. Just wondering if some better quality sources would be more appropriate and I'll get more satisfaction from them alternatively to the pass separates.

I appreciate any advice from the community.

Thanks!
skyflyer04
Remember, when power demands increase they do so exponentially. Sometimes it comes down more to what kind of music you listen to, than where the volume knob is set at.
As the volume increases the benefits of Class A can begin to diminish. While some might prefer to listen to compressed dynamics that fall short of the live experience to enjoy the luxury of some greater time in Class A, others are willing to sacrifice some time of the suaveness of Class A to have more life like dynamics without the anxiety of impending distortion.
Of course there are also other considerations too.
First I owned the XA100.5. I sold them because I needed the money. After this I bought the XA60.5. I wanted to review and test them. I already had a client for them. I also bought a XA30.5 because I could get it for a very low price. I loved this amp for the price you have to pay for it. I was surprised about the sound quality for the money. But also the control and drive was surprisingly good.

Less than one and a half year year ago I bought the X250.5. I was just curious what the X.5 series does compared to the XA series. I thought I would much prefer the XA series.

But..... I was surprised after I received the Purist Audio Limited edition powercable that I prefer the X.5 series. This has to do with timing, I love the extra speed. It is different in the high freq. as well. It is more on the edge in the high freq. Like there is more resolution.

How I use it, the X series work better than the XA series. I have the plans to buy a X350.8 amp. For a few reasons, I only need one powercable. I also have the plans to buy one 25th Ann Purist Audio powercable. I Always focus on the end options and results it gives. The X350.8 has 72 caps just like all best amps Pass Labs has. I want speed and control. It has enough class A for me. Even with the XA250.5 I play for over 95% in class A.

I prefer the extra speed and better timing and the extra resolution over a more musical mid freq of the XA series. But on the other hand I could life with the XA series without hesitation!
I love Pass because it gives me the wide and deep stage I want. On the other hand I love the focus it can give on the sound of an instrument. Realism in sound is everything for me. I also love the speed and drive.

I have done a few email about asking questions about the new .8 series. I think they will give me the extra parts I am looking for.
We've used Pass amplifiers for many years. We currently have 3 X-250.5's for our center / sub, sides and rear speakers and XA-200.5's for our mains.
We've had an XA-30.5 for our mains prior to the 200's.
Our equipment is Wilson Sasha speakers, Meridian 800 series digital front end, MIT Oracle cables, Sound Application power conditioner and CH Acoustic power cables.
We preferred the XA-30.5 to our X-250.5 amplifier. When I was selling a X-250.5 amplifier, I let the buyer listen to the XA-30.5 and he wanted to buy the 30.5 amplifier instead of the 250.5. It just sounds better, in spite of not having the dynamic percussion drive the 250.5 has.
Music was more coherent with the 30.5, and even more so with our 200's! The 200's are short of nothing!
Just our experience.
You need to test and listen it in your own system.

MIT is not a good match with Pass Labs. I can easilly explain why. I sold and owned MIT cables.

Pass Labs give a wide and deep stage but.....within this stage instruments and voices are not small and realistic in proportion. I call it intimate sound.

MIT also give a deep and wide stage. But not a sharp realistic individual focus of instruments and voices.

I have proven in one year of time that Audioquest is superior to MIT in every single aspect you Judge a cable for. It get's you a lot closer to the music. Instruments and voices become a lot more palpable and intimate. Many of my clients sold there MIT cables.

I owned the Meridian 800 for 12 years of time. I also owned the latest and most expensive 800DAX V4 for 7 years of time. There are many sources which are superior to these.

After I used the Purist Audio Limited powercable, the X250.5 went to a much higher level. The speed and resolution I did not achieve with the XA-30.5, 60.5 and 100.5.

Amps will work differently in different situations. So you have to find out yourself what will work best!!