Question about shipping damage

I recently sold an amp and when the buyer received it he contacted me stating that the "speaker a" binding post were broken but the smp powered up and worked fine. Then I received another message from the buyer stating that one channel went out and the other was distorting.

I had taken the amp to a UPS store to have it packed and I watched the attendant pack it. She did a really good job of packing it with several sheets of bubble wrap and foam and then double boxed it (packing peanuts in the outer box).

The buyer even commented on how well it was packed. I insured it for more than the value so I think I'm covered.

My question is how to proceed from here. The buyer said the box was undamaged so I am mystified as to how the binding posts could get damaged and further more what could cause the amp to distort.

Has any one ever had this happen? If so what course of action did you take with UPS. Should I have the amp sent back and file the claim or contact UPS immediately and then have a pick-up scheduled.

Any direction or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
chrshanl37
Chayro's probably right. If there's no external sign of damage, UPS is going to deny any culpability. As to the "how" of the distortion, shipping entails the amp being shaken, vibrated, and bumped constantly for the entire journey. Especially if shipped by ground. I've had similar things happen to me three times shipping amps and preamps. No external damage but the product is broken/malfunctioning. I had to "eat" the cost of further repair every time.
Post removed 
Here's their latest commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onXVl4hxi-U

As you say, they packed the item.
They should be responsible.

Period
As Daniel just said, you are in a good position because you had them do the packing. Call your store and get it taken care of. And ask the customer to put a big dent in the corner of the box before he takes the pics ;-). Just to be safe. Agree with Elizabeth--they do not do as good a job packing as you or I could.
Thank your for the insight and I agree on several points. I have refunded the buyer and spoke with the manager at the store and after appoligizing for not packing er. After apologizing for not packing it better, he told me he would handle the claim process for me and stated that they would make it right. How this will shake out I can't say but chalking it up to lesson learned.

After reading of horror stories in regards to both of the major shipping provider and aside from packing it myself what else should I do to insure safe travel? I have read in other forums where gear was shipped in original packaging and still suffered major damages.

Thanks for the responses.