Tubes vs Solid State - Imaging, Soundstaging, 3D

I have limited experience with tubes having had a couple tube amps with Gold Lion KT88s and EL34s. The majority of amps I have owned have been solid state. In my experience, SS always seems to image more sharply and offer the deepest, clearest field.

Is this common?
128x128michaelkingdom
Charles,

I was looking at your system in conjunction with formulating my response.

No doubt, you have a well thought out setup with some very unique qualities as well and a lot of care has gone into it.

I have only gotten to the point in recent years where I am able to listen for hours on end given the opportunity and be continuously sucked further into the music.

I have a wife and kids, a house and jog and other hobbies as well, so you know how that goes. ALways something to do. All else aside, I can be quite happy just sitting and listening.

But there are so many ways to skin the cat. I hear great sounding stereos all the time now at shows, dealers, plus more good sound at live events when I get a chance. Tubes are often part of the equation, possibly a necessary ingredient still somewhere, just not in the power amp in my particular case.

The thing is there is so many ways to skin the cat and get good results. The common ingredient seems to be a love of music and a desire to get things just right in order to maximize the experience while it lasts. And maybe a tube or two or more can't hurt.
"The point is that the noise floor of a circuit with natural hiss will seem to have more detail, as our ears can hear information below then noise floor; in a circuit with feedback they can't"

Assuming the noise floor is low and can't be heard anyhow, what is there to hear below it?
Information! But just because you hear something over the noise doesn't mean you're hearing more. As often as not, probably less.
Hmmm, it seems a lot more practical to just do whatever you can to minimize noise. Even if you can' hear it explicitly, it typically affects sound quality in a negative way.

Again if I had to choose my noise, I would probably choose the more randomized, white noise, hissy type than any other type that might have more specific interactions with the actual signal. Maybe that's what Ralph is saying? Problem is I am just not hearing it. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. After all I may be just another poor misguided fool. :^(
I suppose I may have to turn in my audiophile credentials perhaps with the mindset that that which I do not hear can't hurt me. Fear of what we might be missing would seem to go with the turf.