New KT150 tubes?

Has anyone any experience with these pretty new tubes. There are already one or 2 amps I know of, that use them. The review of one of these amps in a UK magazine suggested they were a little warmer and more natural sounding than the nearly new KT120's

The article also suggested they were a straight swap for KT120 based amps, with no adjustment necessary. They are more than twice the cost of KT120's, but still not too costly compared with NOS tubes. I know changing from KT88's or 90's to 120's. did require some amp modification. I have an ARC reference 75 and might want to try the new tubes at some point, ARC don't seem to have a customer E-mail service, to ask the question
david12
Hey guys, with your KT150's installed in your REF75 and 150 respectively, was clearance with the cage an issue? Do you have to leave it off. You would not want to "encaged" those beautiful glowing 150's would you??

Me, i have been operating my Classic 120 monos with cage off for years. Not that i have a clearance issue as i use 16 6550 SED Winged C.

I am considering replacing the Classic's with a REF75 or 150. Will likely audition both in my system to see which one can drive my Verity Parsifal Encore most efficiently. My room is fairly large (15.5' x 25' x 7.5'). Would love to audition a REF75 with KT150's but my dealer's demo has the 120's in it. He tells me that the REF75 is sonically superior to the 150 but in my room and with my speakers, the 75 may run out gas at high listening level, hence a 150 being a better fit. Will have to see for myself. He's got 2 used REF150 for sale (customer trade in) that i could get a great price on.
Smoffatt, the ARC Ref 75, you have to leave the cage off, but I agree it is good to see those tubes. I understand this is NOT true of the 150 and other models, the top can stay on.

When I auditioned the Ref 75 with Wilson Duettes, I compared it with the then new VSi75 integrated and a Ref 110, retubed with KT120's. No competition, the 110 was near the 75, but still a clearly audible difference. An experienced reviewer and owner of many ARC amps, commented that the company periodically puts out a barnstorming power amp in the 50 to 100 watt range, one that people remember for decades. He thought the Ref 75 was one of these. Mine certainly is'nt going anywhere. Besides I am retiring next week, I can't afford constant upgrading. I don't know how to improve on the Ref 75, much south of $30000.
Smoffat, I replaced my GNS modified Classic 120s driving Verity Parsifal Ovations with an ARC Ref. 150 about 6 months ago. The amp is tubed with KT 120s. I must say that the improvement was remarkable, with tighter bass, a less colored midrange, and more extended highs. I was unsure before making this change if the Ref. 150 would really make all that much difference but it did. In fact, the improvement in my system by replacing the amps was greater than replacing my GNS modified Ref. 1 preamp with a Ref. 3.

Randy
Veerapaneni ...my Ref 150 is almost ready for a retube. The KT-120s have almost 2000 hours of use on them.

I am frustrated that ARC will not bless the KT-150 for use in their current Ref series. At this point I have only ONE question: will the KT-150s damage my Ref 150? Period.

I'll take my chances on life testing and sound quality. I just want to know the answer to that simple question. Will I damage my Ref 150

Though a non-techie, the KT-150 additional current draw looks immaterial as compared to the KT-120. The GS-150 and Ref 150 specs look identical. I infer that the GS-150 is a goosed up Ref 150, with just a prettier fascia. It is not even clear to me that the GS-150 has better innards.

Take a look at the ARC web site and check the GS-150 and Ref 150 tech specs ... IDENTICAL in every reported aspect!!!

As many of you who follow my posts know, I am an ARC fan. But I am getting a tad irritated by ARC's refusal to answer my question: will the KT-150 damage my amp???

Bruce