Fostex based speakers: Cain Abby or Omega Super3R

It is finally time for me to ask some questions: I am completely stuck on the question of speakers: I am deliberating to wander off into single driver land. Any experiences and comparisons between the Abby's and Super 3's will be very helpful. Room size will be medium to small. Can you please tell me about your experiences with room placement of these speakers? Also, any comparison between the nearfield and the normal version of the Abby’s would be great.

Right now I only have a Jolida 302b tube amp with certainly enough, or even too much power. I am thinking of assembling an SET system around these speakers later down the road (Bottlehead amps, Wright Mono's, etc.). The Abby’s are slightly more efficient (97dB vs. 93dB) and might be easier to drive. Sources are an Audio Aero Prima and a Michell Tecnodec/DL103/Dino.

Thank you very much for your help.

Rene
restock
Restock, drivers with a whizzer cone are not single driver speakers. They are 2-ways with a mechanical crossover. I'm not trying to fault anyone who likes the sound and high efficiency of the whizzer cone drivers. Fostex also makes true single drivers like the F120A ($218 each) and F200A.

Since there is no support of the edges of the H-F cone it will resonate and have odd resonances that do not sound good to me. A better choice, from a measured point of view, is the Epos which is a 2-way with no crossover components and both drivers are fully supported at the edges so less distortions.
Over the last weeks I have been listening to the Omega Super 3 some more:After much longer break-in (right now around 300+h) the sound has become a little fuller with a little more authority (as far as small monitor speakers go). Pairing the Super 3 with the Acoustic Visions MRS10 subwoofer is an incredible tight, musical sounding, and exciting combination. The bass and midbass is much tighter and faster than what I am used to with the EL34 based amp and somewhat balances the soft bass, the EL34 based Jolida 302b is known for. Also, the Omega's dissappear more easily and soundstage is better than the other monitors (Spendor S3/5, Mission 751).

Recalling the Abby's in my memory, the Abby's are still richer and fuller sounding, with a significantly larger soundstage. But that really is expected due to the difference in size.

After having the Omega's now for a longer time it is getting difficult to go back to the Spendor's or Mission's. The sacrifice in speed, transparency and openness is just too much. I am still planning to get the Abby's, but now I'll certainly keep the Omega's around for a while.
Well.. good for you restock..I'm glad to see the combo working out for you. That sealed sub really makes a difference doesn't it! Imagine what two of your subs configured in stereo will sound like..it makes a big difference.

Enjoy!