Biamping Dunlavy SC-V

Hi, does anyone have experience with passive biamping Dunlavy speakers, especially the SC-V? Can you tell me what were the results?
dazzdax
Dunlavy recommended NOT bi-amping, as he set it up to play with jumpers in. However, you can. The crossover is set lowenough however(around 200hz), that you shouldn't have any problems using a good "bass amp", like the Parasounds (for cheap on the bottom posts, and better amp on top!
I used to sell Dunlavy, but never biamped these. You'll have to try, which will really not be anything more than a small investment..then you'll know!
This is what being an adiophile is about really, tweaking and trying yourself you know...
good luck
I'm not sure what passive bi-amping is, but I bi-amp my Dunlavy IVa with two Plinius SA-102 amps, one for the top posts, and one on the bottom. I have never heard Flmlamb's comment. I have talked to John Dunlavy many times over the years, he helped set me in the direction I went, so maybe I'm just not understanding your question. For my system the two amps are a significant improvement in bass definition and slam. With the fives it may be even more important. I would not go back after bi-amping with the last three amps I had, all on Dunlavy speakers.
My greatest concern is where will I ever find a better speaker for the cost once these are old and tired.
If you want to improve the performance of your Dunlavy's, rig up and secure as large as possible of a flat piece of wood on top of your speaker. This will increase bass coupling and improve loading into the room. You can vary the size, placement and amount of overhang in front of the cabinet to vary the amount of loading that you want and / or best suits your room.

The Dunlavy design is excellent, but one of the major variables that he couldn't control was the top woofer to ceiling distance. Using this approach, you've taken that factor out of the equation and can fine tune for best results.

Some may find that this somewhat limits vertical dispersion, but these speakers already have limited vertical dispersion as it is due to their design. If this is a concern, rather than use a flat baffle on top of the speaker, angle the board up and out from the baffle. This will still allow complete vertical dispersion into the room while offering improved bass reinforcement and better room loading than in stock form. This is kind of like using an angled "baffle extension" or "woofer beard" below a stand mounted monitor, but in reverse fashion above the cabinet. Like the above, changing the surface area and angle of the baffle extension / sounding board will allow you to fine tune for optimum results.

Other than that, you need GOBS of power with these speakers for best results. Wide placement on the long wall with no to very little toe-in also works best. If passively bi-amping, most speakers will work best with identical amps running the high and low frequencies. If actively multi-amping with a versatile electronic crossover, different amps can be used to great effect so long as one is willing to tinker quite a bit. Sean
>
I started this thread because I did biamping before with four identical Acoustic Reality ICEpower amps (each with 500wpc), but when biamped there is a reinforcement of bass (some 3 dB or more) while the midrange/treble were a bit subdued and less dynamic. The whole picture is also less coherent. I still don't understand why such gross tonal shift occured. Some friends informed me about a possible mismatch between the bass and the midrange/treble cross over, but why should such a designer like John Dunlavy give each half of the devided cross over network another impedance?