For Magnepans try the "Rooze" comfiguration

This setup is absolutley amazing. I can't wait to get home and tweak it some more. Check out the AA link.

Pete

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/78007.html
petewhitley
Folks,
Below is a link to a sketch of the arrangement.
Again, looking at the sketch one would expect the sound to emerge from the rear of the speaker. If you position yourself carefully in both a lateral and longitudinal direction, the sound vanishes from the rear of the speaker and the stage forms against the wall at the opposite end of the room. It's a weird effect that takes a second or two to register. Eldartford, in many ways it sounds like the monaural affect that you mentioned, but mostly because the sound 'hangs in a space' against the back wall and does not appear to have a source.
The soundstage has all of the aspects of a 'normal' stereo soundstage, without the speakers! It has incredible depth, width and height - in a natural unbloated sense. It has accurate image placement, though not as tightly rendered as with the conventional setup. What makes it so out of the ordinary is the apparant absence of normal room anomalies such as bass boominess or slap echo. It sounds transparent and natural - musical, to put it another way.

Of course, the whole arrangement is not 'optimized' for this presentation. The only thing being moved from the conventional setup is the chair. I suspect that if one were able to optimize fully, without constraints on speaker/chair positions, then the sound could be amazing.

Here goes http://www.newaudiosociety.com/new-seat.jpg
Rooze...The link works.

Here is an idea...Angle the speakers a bit more and/or move your chair up so that the Maggies are Edge-on to the listener. Edge-on would be a null (invisible) orientation for a dipole speaker, and would explain what you hear.

Please report back.
Rooze

Looking at your diagram with the conventional setup, I would have predicted thin bass?

Maybe its just me, or maybe I like boomier bass than most panel fans, but I always preferred the sound with my listening chair pushed up against the rear wall. Otherwise, things always sounded a bit thin to me.

This has been true with MG1Bs, MGIIs, MGIIIs, and my latest Typmani IVas.

Therefore, would appreciate any thoughts on this for both the traditional orientation and how this might change in the Rooze configuration.

Also, when seated in the Rooze configuration, does this reverse left and right?

For proper imaging "projected" against the new front wall, do you switch left and right?