Alternatives to Revel Studios?

I'm currently getting back into audio after a few years away from the hobby, and I'm trying to get a new system put together within the next few months. My previous system was a Sony SCD-777ES into a Krell KAV-250p, with a Music Reference RM-9 amp, and Revel Studios for the speakers. I found the setup exceptionally enjoyable, though I do feel the speakers could have really taken advantage of better electronics. Unfortunately, I moved to a condo with no usable listening room, and sold the speakers.

As good as the Revels were, I can't help but wonder if I could do better this time around. I really don't want to get stuck playing the audiophile upgrade game, so I'm trying to explore all of my options before I buy anything. My current amps are Lamm M2.1s, and my source will most likely be an Audio Aero Capitole MKII running direct to the amps. My musical tastes are quite eclectic, though mostly electronic music, and classic through modern rock. I do listen to a bit of classical and jazz as well, but it isn't my main focus. Because of the music I listen to, solid bass extension and good dynamics are critical to my enjoyment, and a speaker with any tendencies towards harshenss wouldn't go well with my many questionably recorded discs.

My comfort level for speakers is in the $7k-$8k range, new or used, though for a truly mind blowing speaker I might be willing to spend up to double that. So far nothing I've heard under $50k is as enjoyable to me as the Revels have been. I've heard them in half a dozen systems, and have loved them every time. Is there any other speaker I should really look for, or am I on the right track buying another pair of Studios?
steve01s4
I've heard the Revel Studios with Bryston amps and Oracle front end gear at a dealer. I heard the Avalon Diamonds with Boulder gear at another dealer. The perfomrance that I heard from the diamonds was order-of-magnitude better than what I heard from the Revels - but the total cost of system was MUCH higher, in addition to being in a much better put together listening room, so take that for what it's worth. The soundstaging, dynamics, detail, resolution and richness of the Avalon/boulder system that I heard was SOTA, one of the best systems I've ever heard. I'm not sure what the spec is, but I definitely heard bass around the 30hz range, maybe lower. Very powerful and detailed and tuneful.

I have not heard the original Eidolon, however.

One other speaker that I've heard that I like a lot is the Wilson Sophia. Have you given it a try? Many of Wilson's previous speakers have been voiced pretty aggressively - very detailed, but in my opinion, too much so to be enjoyable in the long term. The Sophias are completely different - the detail and resolution is there, but they are voiced much more pleasing to the ear. They'll probably be my next speaker, unless I hear something very compelling in the meantime. Certainly not in-your-face. Your Lamm amps would be a match made in heaven with the Sophias.
I have Salons in my main system and Vienna Acoustics Mahlers in my second system.

In my systems, as good as the Salons are, the Mahlers image better and have a midrange voicing that I find preferable on a lot of music.

The Mahlers are just as transparent and detailed as the Salons in the mids and highs. The bass on the Mahlers is not quite as tight, but has better weight. The Salons have a little bit better deep bass extension (<25 Hz.). The Mahlers are 3 db. more efficient, but require a careful choice of amp and speaker cables to control the bass.

Both speakers can go incredibly loud, cleanly, with a slight edge going to the Salons due to their use of 4th order crossovers. Because of their bass weight and slam (serious SLAM), I find the Mahlers more satisfying at high volume.

In short, I suggest that you try to demo Mahlers, as they are roughly the same price as Studios and make for an interesting comparison to the Revels.
Kurt_tank: Thanks for the input. It sounds like I'm going to have to track down the Eidolons to audition before I make my decision. I've heard the Marten Coltranes which use a diamond tweeter also (probably the same one) and the highs are great, but unfortnately it seems speakers using those tweeters are out of my price range for now. The tweeters alone would eat up most of my budget.

Yyz: Most people do consider the Salons to be a bit better. It may be the systems I've heard them in, but I've always either preferred the Studio or found them close enough that the Studio won for value. Of course, everyone's room and system is different.

Goatwuss: I'm sure the Diamonds are better, but I wonder how much of what you heard was the room and the associated equipment. My experience with Boulder places it in the top tier of electronics, period. That said, I prefer the Lamms to any solid state I've yet heard, and enjoy it as much as the best tubes. I've not head the Sophias. I have heard various versions of the WPs over the years, and recently heard the 7s. I did not enjoy them at all. I've heard great things about the Sophias though. If I have the chance to audition them, you can be sure I will.

Raquel: Your comparison is interesting. I've never heard anything from Vienna Acoustics before. I'm usually a fan of tighter bass, and efficiency shouldn't be a problem since I rarely listen at high volumes. However, bass slam is always fun. What kind of music do you primarily listen to, and what are the electronics in both systems?