Sweet not so sweet

Hi,

I'm an owner of the Innersound Eros ESLs and while I love the sound while sitting in the "sweet spot", my "sweet spot" seat is between 2 sections of a modular sofa and is very uncomfortable. I have lived with this for 3 years or so, and now am looking for suggestions to get as close to the ESL sound as I can while having wider dispersion. My room is 20'x14' with the speakers positioned on the short wall and out no more than 3 feet. Physical size is not a problem as my wife will happy with anything smaller than the Eroses. The only restriction is that they cannot be out more than 3' from the short wall. Replacing the sofa is not an option (unfortunately).

My current "short list" includes:

Tyler Linbrook Sig System
Silverline Sonata
Dunalvy Canata/Aletha
Reimer Wind River
Von Schweikert VR4 jrs
Hyperion 938s
Usher AC 10/ 8871

Please suggest any other models that I may have overlooked.

All opinions welcome!

Thanks.

Mike
1musiclover
I had the same problem with my Acoustat 2+2s. The problem was solved by a single Argent Room Lens between, and behind the plane, of the speakers. The sweet spot became the entire couch. Still preferring to sit in the middle, I replaced the couch with an Ekornes Stressless chair.
Mike,
I haven't chose Eminent Technology VIIIA's ---- yet, still waiting to get a demo. But I've heard nothing but good about them from those whose opinion I trust, and yes they take some power but supposedly have the Eros magic.

As a personal preference, I try to stay with American made loudspeakers and I've heard very good things about Reimer and Tyler Acoustics.

I would also suggest you look into VMPS (RM30) speakers --- they have flat panel tweeters and midrange married to cone woofers -- I'm going to listen to a pair in a month or so.

My thinking is once someone owns an electrostat or flat panel ribbon speaker they might have a little trouble switching to box speakers. You might as well which is why I strongly recommend you audition your short list before you purchase.
Hi All,

Thanks so much for the replies.

Raquel -- I wasn't aware that the Dunlavy's had a small sweet spot. Do all time aligned speakers have a small sweet spot?

Elgordo -- thanks for the simple suggestion! However, as my listening room and family room are one and the same, I cannot install room lenses, tube traps and the like :(

Eldragon -- I'll look into the Grand Piano. I'm sure my wife would like their appearance!

Sedona -- I know I'll have sacrifices involved, and I'm willing to give up some of of the Eroses' strengths. Frank Alles has written a very glowing review on the VMPS RM30s and I will have to look into them as well.

Thanks again!

Mike
Mike: Generally speaking, yes, time-aligned speakers have small sweet spots and could sound better if you are listening off-axis (but not like a classic electrostatic, which can sound broken off-axis).