File format, software and settings?

I want to rip my CD collection using the best software and settings to the best sounding, most versatile and future proof format. Advice please.
mike60
For PC DB Poweramp is the easiest most complete ripper, although Exact Audio copy works very well and to my ears sounds as good and is free... Data tagging is much better with DB poweramp... Also, Steve, I recommend that you once again try Foobar 2000 with the latest stable version 1.1.13 it is a huge step forward from the version listed on your site, I have also used DB Poweramp to convert all of my Flac files to WAV. This was an audible improvement.
Timlub - have you tried JRiver with Jplay? How about XXhighend?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Hi Steve,
I have tried JRiver... a year ago, no jplay. I tried Media Monkey, didn't like it. I have tried JPlay w/foobar 2000. At first I thought Jplay was a miracle, very nice improvement... I got rid of anti virus, I increased ram, I made all my computer settings for the highest performance settings going for Foobar 2000, went into Foobar advanced settings and changed the buffer to handle larger files (I've read this causes files smaller than your buffer settings to play from ram), I deleted a bunch of programs not used and turned off everything that I could... NOW Jplay just didn't matter.... Recently I downloaded Windows 8 and there was yet more improvement. I haven't tried XXHighend. Thanks for responding, Tim
Looks like DBpoweramp and .WAV. Any special settings to get the best results? Can I rip a smaller file at the same time for use on an ipod? What format should I use for that? Initially I will stream wirelessly from a laptop through my Pioneer N50 to my Esoteric DAC, controlled via smartphone app. I am sure that I can get better sound direct to my DAC via usb later. Excuse my extreme ignorance but what do I need Jriver with Jplay for?
Timlub - did you try Jriver with Kernel Streaming or Wasapi?

I think probably XXHighend might be the best one out there for PC now based on feedbacks.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio