Best Speaker Placement Rules you've used?

Thought a thread like this might be interesting. What have you found to be the best rules for speaker placement? Either in your own system and room or one that has worked for you in many.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmusicfirst
The link for the Cardas Formula is on the Cardas website, the link is here. Hope this helps. Bob
Good question.
I started out with the Cardas room placement model, but in order to be at least 9 feet away from my speakers (according to the manufacturer), I had to move them back a bit.
Make sure that the distance (center of woofer) is different (by ~1/3) from the front wall to the side wall.
Do not place them that close to the side walls in order to mitigate first reflections.
Another "rule" that I read somewhere is that the best place for the speakers to be invariably has the worst WAF.

David
http://www.etfacoustic.com/

wow, sorry guys thought ETF was pretty much common knowledge.

Great easy to use program/measurement system that takes the theory out of speaker placement and lets you know what is going on with your system.

Price has gone up to $475, but that includes calibrated mic/ mic preamp. There are some new modules also to play with and add to the system that some may find useful.

If you have more than $500 in interconnects and not this system the cart is before the horse.
Don't forget the program for setting up specific brands of speakers in various sized rooms on the Rives site. I have found that it is a better starting point than Cardas but both are just starting points.

Its easy to get the initial triangle set up sounding good - its a totally different thing when you really get it perfected. That takes a lot of time and listening. Using the triangle as a basic configuration I like to get the bass down first, using a Radio Shack meter and a test disc. Once I've got the flattest bass I can get I start working on minimizing the effects of 1st reflections and getting diffusive materiels on the front and back walls. Then I start making small changes involving toe in, speaker/listening positions. Its taken as long as 3 months for me to really maximize a room set up. Be patient.
Cinematic Systems, Does this EFT devise measure things like width, height, and depth of image? Does it measure intensity of reflections from the rooms surfaces? Or does it just measure frequency response (not that that is a bad thing to do)?