Room size and speaker position

i'm turning one of our spare bedrooms into a 2 channel listening room. i'm using a Cayin TA-30 integrated with Def Tech 2004tl's. it's 13x12 and i've been playing around with speaker placement, but was wondering...

1) Should i place the setup against the long wall (13) or short wall (12)?
2) how close can i be to the speakers? i heard ideally the speakers should be way out in the room.

I have nothing else in the room except a chair and a lamp....
128x128kray
This should give you some foundation for proper speaker placement. Seeing that your room is nearly square, you may want to choose the 'set up' wall based upon which one will provide the best symmetry. For example, if you have windows on one wall, you may get better results with your back to them rather than have dissimilar boundaries to the sides of each speaker.

Ultimately, experimentation is king. Once you have a rough placement, set aside some time to try moving the speakers forward, backward and to each side in small increments (being careful to keep them as close to equidistant from side and rear walls as possible.) The slightest adjustments can have dramatic results. Unfortunately, there is no right or wrong. The good news is that once you find a position you like, you are finished!

Additionally, 'toeing in' the speakers toward your listening position in varying degrees can help bring them into focus.

Various room treatments are often cost effective and can be extremely useful in getting the best from your gear. Rives can certainly help you with this one...
Kray

I have an 11'X13' spare bedroom that I converted to a dedicated listening room.
I tried all the standard setup procedures and found the best results suggested from a fellow audiogoner.
He suggested to set the room up in a diagnal. It's been along time since but still sounds great.
Hope this helps, Rick.
ramond,

I think i know what you mean, but could you explain that a little more? do you mean setup the speakers perpindicular to a corner?