Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand

Hi All,

Just wanted to say WOW. My dealer has a pair of these. It's quite surprising as he tells me they are not released yet but he has received one of the first pairs.

Visually they are stunning. He has them in Cherry which is far more interesting than Beech, not quite Rosewood though. He has already put about 100 hours on them and they sound amazing. I went there to test the Beethovens (a demo pair) and fortunately he had the grand set up so we could do an A-B.

No comparison! The 3 bass drivers really kick up the bass response another notch. And the scanspeak tweeter developed for VA is really something special.

If only a mortage wasn't required for a pair!

PS. They were being powered by a set of Audio Research Monoblocks (not sure which ones), Audio Research Preamp and source, and Audioquest top-of-the-line cabling throughout.
xenithon
I own the now discontinued Beethoven. I just listened to the new Beethoven Grand and yes, it has more bass. I don't think that makes it better--just louder. The bass does not sound richer, more realistic, or have more resonance when listening to string bass or low cello notes. If you like rock, I can understand the preference. I wonder if the specs when released will show a lower frequency response or a flatter one or both. They have redesigned all the drivers except the tweeter, which the salesman claimed was tweaked even more. They added one more woofer and have only one mid now.

I will return to listen again in a couple of months just to be sure the floor models are completely broken in, but as for now, the mid and upper range didn't wow me. The local dealer thinks overall, the new model is a 10 to 15% improvement over the old one.

I do like them. I am not saying they are not excellent speakers. I just don't think they are way better. However, they are a bargain at the present cost, and a price increase, because of the weak dollar, is probably sooner rather than later. I would have bought them but my first listening with my favorite CDs just wasn't convincing enough.

I hope everyone who owns the older model will go audition them with their favorite music and post their opinion.
I bought a pair of beethoven's v3 with a Krell KAV300il and an amazing thing happened! I quit shopping! Music comes out of my system! It's been 2 years and i'm still diggin it, Could I be"gasp"cured.
Cured? I doubt it. Sure is nice to prolong the financial agony every now and then though isn't it?

Paul