Looking for Bass....

Ok i live my maggies to death.... but the bass just well isnt there like it should. So im going to try and find a sub that suits them well, anyone out there have or had a pair of maggies and had great results with a sub? if so id love to hear what, and really anyone who could recommend a good sub id be happy to listen. thanks for your time
Thomas
hitchhike79
Thanks for your responces guys, i have good power im sure i think its time to look closer at placement as a few of you said and go from there, thanks again.
Thomas
The MG 1.6 bass is significantly better than older Magneplanar models, and does not deserve the same "no bass" reputation. (But they are still power hungry).
Greetings,

I am also a 1.6 owner. Love the speakers. They do so many things right. But, bass is weak. I understand that Magnepan does not officially recommend any subwoofer to be used with their speakers, but did suggest that one which will integrate nicely has a configuration utilizing three 8" drivers. The sub that fits that description is the Vandersteen 2 series.

To make the bass on 1.6's really live, bi-amp and bi-wire each speaker. I'm running four channels of 200wpc into my 1.6's. The change in bass dynamics is impressive. But still not enough to satisfy me. So, I went to subs.

I currently use two Vandy subs (older 2W's) with my 1.6's. talk about Heavenly, powerful, defined, etc. etc. BASS!!!
You can find Vandy subs used for about $600 to $700 on Audiogon. GET THEM! They are a treasure for us magnepan owners!
I also highly recommend you purchase two; it's no joke, there is definitely lower level information which you can hear utilizing twin subs. I would not even consider going back to using only one sub. The difference in the "presence" of the music with two subs is amazing.

The only other brand of sub that comes to mind which is to my knowledge geared for true audiophile listening is the REL line. But they cost about three times as much as the Vandersteens.

Visit the Vandersteen website vandersteen.com
to see how their subs take the signal from the amp versus the preamp. A very critical difference, which IMHO is why they are so special.

I am getting UNREAL - NO! REALLY REAL sound from the 1.6 Vandersteen combo! I think you would be impressed!
BTW in my 13 x 21 x 8 room I used the Cardas method of speaker placement and never moved them after that. I found it the best compromise of imaging, tone and balance.

Also, when I had the Innersound amp (which was modified with a much bigger power supply to give 1000 watts to my Maggies) one time I played a drum solo for a friend and I bet it was louder than if an actual drumset was in the living room. It was gut thumpin bass! The point is, Maggies will play extremely loud and are limited by the amp most of the time, if you think the speakers are at the top of their limits I think it is probably the amp instead. My Plinius SA100 and Rogue Magnum 120's never came close to those volumes...