finally have purchase approval

Hi All,

Since I got rid of my JM Labs over a year ago (very sad about that) I've been living without a decent music system since then. I was seriously eyeballing Vandys and seperates last year, just before....

Well, a lot has changed. We close on our new home next week, and our daughter is now 3 months old (and very cute I must add!) Anyway, since we'll be a bit house poor for the forseeable future, my most-excellent wife has given me the go ahead to purchase a VERY MODEST system. I can't quite afford the JMs this time around, so I need your help.

I have quite specific needs here -

1) Cheap/but decent, i.e. SWEETSPOT
2) This system will split time between movies and music, so I need processing and center channel at least; 5.1 would be nice, but not absolutely necessary, 3.1 will do
3) I will be running a reciever for amplification, probably a Denon.
4) My main source will be Apple Lossless Compression.
5) Cherry veneer is a big-time plus...I really don't want to bring something with low WAF into the house, and our custom entertainment unit (that houses a 40" Sony Wega) and coffee and end tables are all solid cherry.
6) Effiency is important because side-jobs will allow me to run the mains with Tubes before too long (hopefully).

My music taste ranges from A-Z.

Got all that? Having given the requirements, here's what I have been looking at so far:

Setup:
monitors and a center. I am not opposed to floorstanders, but there are many more choices in the monitor market, plus a sub. I'm hoping to get lucky with a good REL or Vandy for that.

1) Epos - this stuff is really inexpensive. Is there a bad reason for that?
2) Triangle - like the JM Labs, they are French, detail oriented speakers and also very affordable.
3) Totem - the best lookers in the bunch and again, affordable

Used on A'gon is the way for me to go here to get the best bang.

Can you please give me some more options to look at? Please don't suggest stretching the budget...my wife will lock me out of Quicken in a hurry. 8^)

Thanks,
Z
zstokes
For amplification, you owe it to yourself to check out the developments at www.av123.com.
They are running a special on what they call EMO Ultra-Lite separates for $1,098 for the first 100 combos. These were already sold out as soon as the news were announced. There's a possibility that another batch of 50 may be approved at this introductory price. It seems like such a good deal to me.
I have no relation to the folks at av123.com, just impressed by the deals and quality on offer. That's all.
Here's another thread on Emo Ultra Lite Prelim Specs.
If you miss your JM Labs so much and liked the way they sounded why dont you check out thier Chorus line?

About a week ago i picked up a pair of JM Labs Chorus 707S's and im running them off a Denon AVR-3805 (my amp died so now im using the recievers amps) along with a pair of velodyne DLS-4000 subwoofers and im very pleased with the results. Toss in thier center channel and a pair of thier 706's and you will have a pretty bitchin home theater as well as some pretty good sounding 2 channel as well. (pure direct on that denon really kicks ass)

You can really even get away without having a subwoofer with these.

Im pretty sure they come in a good cherry finish as well. They look way more expencive than they are.

They also rate a 92db effeciency.

Im not sure how much the 707s cost, ive seen em for 995.00 and 650 new. i picked mine up for 488 at a local New&used audio shop.

1.2k for the Denon 3805
650 for 707s
350 for 706's
500 (estimate for the matching center)

that is 2,700... not too bad, depending on what the wife feels is not too bad.

What kind of a budget are you looking at here?
Hey Slappy,

Probably around 2K. I certainly considered the Chorus line. The only problem is finding them used. My wife is letting me use a small portion of the profit from the sale of our Condo to buy this stuff...if I don't do it now, it's gone.
So, there's the dilemma. Toughy eh?

Z