Does anyone know about Design Acoustics PS-6a?

I found these bookself speakers in a local shop and am not sure if they are a good buy (about $90). Would appreciate if anyone could provide me with any information relating to Design Acoustics PS-6a. Tung
billyhung
Never heard the PS-6a but .... I picked up a pair of Design Acoustics PS-9 speakers and replaced the tweeters with SEAS. These speakers have the down-firing bass woofer. They have been mated with a Sherwood 7100A receiver from the 70's. Result: wonderful sound with suprisingly decent bass response. I would not hesistate to grab the PS-9 or PS-10 speakers and do the mods.
Billyhung: I don't see any reason why the combo wouldn't work reasonably well, so long as spl and bass requirements aren't a priority. Whether or not you like the sonic results is a matter of personal preference.

Pkaram: Design Acoustics was the first company that i know of to actively promote "space utilization" within a cabinet and take advantage of downloading a woofer. A couple of their models looked to be two-way "bookshelf" sized models but the bass that they produced gave things away. That is, they "snuck" a woofer on the bottom of the cabinet, resulting in both greater extension and output capacity. The first time that i heard one of these models, it was being driven by a little 20 wpc Proton integrated amp. Given the "two way" design ( yes, i too was fooled ) and the "tiny" amount of power available ( another deception with Proton and NAD amps ), the results were quite eye / ear opening. How such a small, simple and inexpensive combo made such nice music was a very pleasant surprise. Sean
>
Back in the mid eighties, I had a friend who had a pair of Design Acoustic PS 10s with a companion Down firing sub. It was one of the best systems I ever heard. If I could find that combo today I would snap it up. The PS 10s were a smallish bookshelf maybe 8" high by 5" wide with sloped sides to avoid diffraction and had a very open sound. But the sub was the piece d'resistance. Hope this helps.