Can the Totem Hawk Rock?

I was told by a dealer, who distributes both Totem and B&W that the Hawks are superior in every way to the B&W 704 except for volume (Note: the 704 is an excellent speaker). This particular dealer does not stock the Hawk, because he stocks the Staff and claims the two are so close in sound. I already know from second-hand research that I would prefer the Hawk over the Staff. However, I hate to ask the dealer to bring in the Hawk specially for me if there’s a chance I might not like their sound - thus my thread. I appreciate quick detail, image and clarity, a good soundstage, etc., but I do like to crank up the volume when the wife and kids are away. I'm from the old-school and like to "feel" the music right in my chest. When the dealer said the Totem's wouldn’t play as loud as the B&W's I thought I should ask you Agoners before I drive 3 hrs to listen to a pair of speakers that the dealer would have to bring in specially for me to demo. I've demo'd the 704's and was impressed with their ability to play loud, but I was not that happy with their overall sound.
Note: My listening room is small (12 x 15) - due to layout, I'm forced set up and listen between the shorter distance (12 feet). I can bring the speakers out 18 - 20 inches without freaking the wife out too much (that is the max though!)

Thanks in advance to your responses. Keep in mind, my budget is only $2,200.00 max. so no need to remind me of all the really great, but pricey, speaker choices.
2chnlben
Thanks guys. I realize I need to demo different speakers and ultimately try them in my listening environment. The dilemma is that I need to drive 3 hrs east to demo the Totems and 3 hours west to demo Thiel (two brands I'm interested in). That's why I really do appreciate all your input - it does help in my decision-making. Now, I do have a B&W dealer practically right next door to me. I may have to audition the 704's again. The reviewers seem to like the 704's, but I wasn't overly impressed with them. My budget is going to allow me the B&W 704; Totem Hawk; Thiel CS1.6; or something else I'm not familiar with. Have any of you done any comparisons with the three I mentioned? I realize that there are some killer bookshelfs in this price-range, but I think I need a bigger speaker for the lower end.

Thanks,
2Chnlben
I'd again recommend the Totem Hawk for your situation. They certainly can't play as loud as the B&Ws, but in your small room, 100dB (which they can definitely play without compromising sound quality @ about 2m away) will cause serious ear damage if you listen for more than couple of hours.

If you're a party animal and need to blast windows and shake walls, look elsewhere. But I think the Totems will serve you right. I have not demoed any Thiel speakers, so I can't quite comment on those, but I hear they're excellent as well.

I've demoed the B&W 704s and the Totem Hawks with less than 2 minute break between them (in Singapore's Adelphi building) and I liked the Hawks better. It was quicker, had extremely good imaging (didn't try too much off-axis) and awesome soundstage. Plus they're significantly smaller than the B&Ws so it'll be nice for your small room.

As for the lack of bass extension mentioned by Exertfluffer, I dissagree. The Totem Hawks were certainly missing the very bottom octave, but they weren't designed to reproduce the very low 20Hz-35Hz frequencies. But they had very good bass response when I demoed them in a room about your size. It was nicely detailed, quick and loud enough. If you are obsessed like many of my friends are, you'll need a sub-woofer, even for the B&Ws. The bass does go a little mushy if you really turn up the volume (again, probably an uncomfortable level for your room).

I'd recommend that you actually do take a day or a weekend off to demo the Hawks and the Thiel speakers. It'll be worth it and see which one YOUR ears prefer before you spend $2200.

Good luck,

Seong
Thanks Spacekadet. I look forward to auditioning that speaker. Rbstehno has peaked my curiousity about the Mani 2's. I've been reading about them. I learned something new - that a small bookshelf can actually produce good deep bass. The Mani's are expensive though. I might be interested in used.
Nrchy. VERY nice system!! I would love it. But, I am asking people to comment on "real-world" budget speakers! What I wanted to know, is, FOR THE MONEY (approx. $2,200) what are the best performing speakers. I think Totem, Thiel, Green Mountain, the little Von Schweikerts and even B&W are "good" speakers in that budget range. If I won the lottery, I would opt for your speakers!

Thanks anyway.

2chnlben