Digital Rights Management and iTunes

This topic has been mentioned in a few threads for various reasons.

It seems many of us are trying to better organize our digital music libraries on computers.

Although I like iTunes and the iPod interface, I do not like DRM complicating my life for files I have purchased and rightfully own.

Similarly, I am currently frustrated that the Apple "lossless" format is proprietary and therefore cannot be used on my new HiFiMan player as I try to migrate to that player for higher portable fidelity.

So for the first time last night thanks to a suggestion in another thread, I noticed that it is not so complicated to back up a purchased iTunes library by "ripping" to CD.

Then, if I take that ripped music, and RE rip my backup CD - presto - I get unencumbered WAV files on my hard drive?

I suppose that adds a step in the process, but otherwise pretty surprising that DRM is so easily defeated?

Again, I am only doing this with music and files I have purchased and paid for from iTunes.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
cwlondon
my burned cds from itunes play on my marantz universal, my emotiva erc=1 and my sony universal player and in my car. i don;t think they are "low quality" downloads.
srwooten, you are right, I just went back and checked my receipt from yesterday. Shipping/handling was $2.98 so my average price paid is $4 delivered. I think $4 is still a good price for a CD that I want. I no longer just go out and buy CDs that I am not familiar with. It's too easy to find them at the library or listen to them on-line to determine if I like them - knowing that the online listening does not provide much info. as to the recording quality. But truth be told, if I like the music sometimes I have to live with less than stellar recording quality.

In my area, I have really limited access to used CD stores and those that do exist are usually selling for the $3-$6 range and the selection obviously isn't as good as Amazon.

I have not found any CD's for $0.01 on Amazon, but I am sure a few exist.

I don't mind everyone arguing about price, but as we are on AUDIOgon, can anyone please confirm or deny the following:

1) Backing up an iTunes library to CDs to "re rip" into uncompressed files does or does not circumvent DRM?

2) Back up CDs can or cannot be played back on any CD player?

3) Are backup CDs and/or re ripped WAV files genuine "CD quality" and same in resolution as physical media?

If I can only back up lower resolution files which remain encumbered by DRM, than Apple is the new Microsoft, and iTunes is over for me.
Post removed 
my itunes songs burned to cds play perfectly on emotiva, sony, marantz,philips , and pioneer cd and dvd players. sound quality is very good. itunes may not be the best way to build a music collection but when you want one song or some selection immediatly it works great.