LS3/5A & Pass Labs

I am looking for new speakers to go with my Pass Aleph 3, Aleph P, and 9X16X8'celing room...concrete walls. I found a used shop that sells used Spendor LS3/5A speakers $550-$650. I wonder what you all think of this combo in terms of musicality, sound volume, sound staging, speaker placement etc...

thanks
souporhero
I have the same Aleph pair and use the Silverline Sonatinas, original, Avalon Style. Great combo.
The used shop in question has several (4-6) pairs of LS3/5A and the prices vary as stated above. Is there something that I should look for when buying these speakers. I am in Hong Kong, and the shop in question is not the type to give a refund after you part with your money. I think they will hook it up to a system to show that sound comes out and that's it. Some of the speakers have newer looking mid-drivers, and some of them...well...just look a little older with the grills off. Just wondering if you have an opinion on this cuz you guys seem to be LS3/5a vets.

Could you please tell me what my amp will do if asked for 15 ohms as opposed to 8 ohms? Be louder or quieter.

Previous speakers I have owned with this combo were the proac 2.5 and the JM mini utopias. I liked the smoother vocals and deeper soundstaging of the proacs and the way the cymbals sounded with the JMs. How will the Spendors compare in soundstaging, smoothness in vocals, and cymbal sparkle? I am assuming that the Spendors will reach the same volume of the as the proacs. Please tell me if this is not right.

Thanks
ls 3/5's by spendor,rogers,kef or harbeth are classics. in some ways, one of the best of all time.
Souporhero,
Will your dealer allow you to try the speakers in your own room and gears? I think this is the best way to find out.

I know a lot of people prefer PP tube amps with these speakers, generally. But you may just cut it given the tube-like sonic character of Aleph3. Report to us your findings.
Souporhero,

I own the Chartwell LS3/5a circa 1978 in Rosewood Finish. They are in original condition and still sound like voice coils of God! Before you even think of buying them you should check out the website dedicated to the LS3/5a's and you will be able to educate yourself before you part with your money. The website also has a Yahoo Group listing of which I am a member. In the group there are many LS3/5a lovers from Hong Kong and they know the speakers inside out. Some of them own more than 20 pairs of LS3/5a speakers and all connected at the same time! They are so into it that I would not be surprised if one of them came up with the history of the speaker if only the serial number is provided to them.

If you have not yet purchased them I urge you to pay a visit to the site maintained by a very nice guy, Paul Whatton (the speaker designer's son). You can also try to become the member of the Yahoo Group mailing list (membership of 1157 as of today) where you can specifically ask for guidance and suggestions from members. They are nice folks who basically are true audiphiles and would not hesitate to help a fellow member who is interested in buying the speakers.

The website address:

www.ls35a.com