Full sounding Bookshelf speakers music only

I'm trying to find a nice full sounding bookshelf, or monitor pair for a new set-up. I have a nad c740, and I'm looking for a good match. I have a budget of $400.00. I don't want to use a sub. This will be for music only. I listen to everything from classical to metal. Thanks.
pattymo
Like vintage gear? Older bookshelf speakers sometimes are a great buy. Bang and Olufsen Beovox S45-2 speakers from 1980 are pretty nice 3-ways gotten used for $200.00. Use the other $200.00 for quality speaker cable upgrade and quality CD interconnects. Or, Monitor Audio makes nice new speakers in the Bronze Series, B2 and above for about $399.00-- that are very hi-tech and very musical. Oh, bookshelf speakers should go on stands as they sound best there. Just friendly advice!
You might consider Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 1's. They are an incredible sounding bookshelf speaker that performs way past its price of $300.00. You'd be hard pressed to find better for double the money.
What do you consider a "bookshelf" sized speaker? Are you really going to use them in a bookshelf or would "reasonably sized" floorstanders work too? Sean
>
I find the NHT bookshelf speakers in that price range to be quite good for the money.

Tom.
If you can live without alot of bass, the JMlab Chorus 706S is a reasonably priced small bookshelf. I got mine to go with the new Cambridge Audio Azur 640C/640A (CD player/integ. amp). For about $1000, this is a very musical small second system for my kitchen area. I believe it is reviewed in the current HiFi plus mag.