Audiogon/Asylum and magazine reviewers posts

For whatever reason(s), I have always prefered Audiogon over the Asylum; a few weeks ago there was this post on the Asylum, "Is Stereophile Abstaining From AA ?". Many on here may already know that several reviewers do participate on AudioAsylum. I posted this question to that post, "My question is, why don't they frequent Audiogon as well? Any response JA?" I received the following reply from the reviewer Kal Rubison, "I monitor Audiogon but there's rarely anything worth commenting on."

This post isn't anything against Kal, I was just curious if others that frequent both sites find that AA has more meaningful posts?
brianmgrarcom
Excellent post Zaikesman - I think you really nailed it, that there are a lot of people on this site who are experienced enough with audio to be a reviewer, but that being a reviewer requires having the whole package, including writing skills, endurance (ie, month after month), etc. I generally agree that there are at least several and perhaps many that _could_ become reviewers for one of the magazines, but it wouldn't happen overnight.

Personally, I think many of the people here who could become reviewers wouldn't, as I think it would suck a lot of the fun out of the hobby. -Kirk
Wow Zaikesman, that was the best writing I've seen around here in a while. Thanks for the great perspective.
I was sure you were Albert as I read your thoughts, he's the only other guy I know who is so eloquent.
One reason I rarely comment here is that there rarely is a need since you guys seem to be able to take care of yourselves just fine. It has nothing to do with any past accusation of boorishness since, frankly, I do not recall it.

I simply find it more fun to comment on AA where there is more 'shooting from the hip.'
Zaikesman, I think that your opinion was very well stated. From what I have seen, you are an intelligent, well written audiophile.

And, that is simply my point.

I would have to include you in my list.

While I respect your post greatly, I do disagree. I do not hold that the reviewers of Stereophile are in their position because they are the best at what they do. In my opinion, their position is a result of many factors. Love for audio/music, education, determination in following the path of being an audio reviewer, etc. Ability to write well, organize thought, develop the tools required for the job, etc. are skills that I believe many on this site have. And, as important as anything in life, some of it is fate/luck. Yes, luck.

One trivial example about this type of thing happening every day in life I have is about great high school friend of mine. Mickey Pergine. He was the quarterback on my high school football team. He came from a long line of quarterbacks, his uncle is John Pergine, who was a star at Notre Dame I believe. Mickey was one heck of a quarterback. A cannon for an arm, fearless in battle, the unique ability to make the right decision in the heat of the moment, 6'3" - 210 lbs. He was a Philadelphia Inquirer choice for All Area QB.

So why does no one on this site besides me know who he is? Well, Mickey wasn't the best of students. And, he kind of liked to have fun. Too much fun. Somehow, somewhere, along the way, all that he was the prototype for never materialized. Instead of talking of him in the company of QBs that came out of this area, Rich Gannon, Matt Blundin, Steve Bono, and Glenn Foley, he is just some obscure person I am using in my trivial example.

I am the first to admit I review the reviewers. I critique the critics. This is a hobby that I love. Stereophile is a magazine that I love. I have been a more or less loyal supporter/subscriber since 1987. I put my money where my mouth is. My current round of being a subscriber began in 1998, and is paid for until 2005. In my mind, I have earned the right to say what is right with the magazine. And, also, what is wrong with the magazine.

I have a very low tolerance for incompetance at what is the paragon of our hobby. I do not genuflect at a reviewer. I am upset when Michael Fremer does not have a balanced interconnect. I am dumbfounded when he expresses surprise that an Audio Research power amp is bright or forward. I complain that John Atkinson is a slave to his measurements. I do not understand how tube equipment is not a part of the ancillary components he uses to evaluate audio components. I wonder how Sam Tellig can describe the sound of a component if he evaluates it in a very small context(both system and music). I am amazed that the only piece of equipment that Jonathan Scull reviewed with a non - stratospheric price was lynched. I wonder how Kalman Rubinson can use a 1988 Pioneer PD-7100 CD player as reference equipment. I fall asleep when I read a review of his that robs every ounce of passion that this hobby fires within me, making a review sometimes feel like reading a legal docuement or textbook. I complain when people who make their living, and are held us as THE experts, make fundamental mistakes in terms of perhaps the most important aspects of audio, room interface with the system, and system synergy.

I guess me noticing these things is heightened when I read some of the insightful threads on Audiogon. As far as people not measuring up to the official reviewers, if they are anything like me, a great deal of their posts are hammered out during lulls in the action at work, or at home. I often use Audiogon, for better or worse, as a means to turn to something when I need a break.

I remain steadfast in my belief that no one at the magazines is indespensible, including Jonathan Scull, and that there are many here among us who could get the job done.
Trelja - I certainly agree with your point about the reasons for substandard writing quality often seen on A'gon, but feel that when it comes to the reviews in particular, this ought not to be an acceptable excuse. Thanks for including me on your 'list', but I would have to disqualify myself; I know I don't have what it would take to be a reviewer that *I* would want to read for long. I don't have the experience - or the interest, frankly - to imagine myself trying to pursue that kind of thing for real. I don't go to the shows, or even the dealers very often, I'm not 'widely listened' enough, I don't belong to an audiophile club or have 'audiobuddies', I don't have any actual writing credentials, I don't know enough about classical music in particular, I don't know enough about the technical side of the audio arts, or its history - I could go on.

But more importantly than any of those personal limitations (shared though some of them may be with other A'goners), I acknowledge what I think many of us would have to concede about "professional" reviewing, if we were to really be honest about it: that I simply wouldn't have the stomach for it. Talk about robbing passion - and never mind passion for audio, what about for music? Fun as it may be to daydream about constantly getting in new toys to play with, I can't imagine anything more dampening to the spirit of actually enjoying listening to music, than to have to continually tear apart the system, tweak new setups, substitute comparision pieces, make notes while listening, and always having to write a damn article on a deadline about what you heard, month after month after month. Maybe this just means I'm a 'music-lover' more so than an 'audiophile', but even as far as the equipment goes, I imagine it would be tough not begin regarding everything in somewhat of a blur, or to start becoming paranoid about really trusting yourself to maintain an accurate mental hierarhcy of all that you've been exposed to - or to keep caring as much as you would ideally want to.

And then there would be the very sorts of things alluded to above: people hounding you or following you around at audio shows; people emailing you with their takes, or why yours is right/wrong; people posting about you in less than glowing terms on internet forums. Who needs it? Some are going to be cut out for this sort of attention, but I definitely would not be among them. The whole high end hobby is too permeated with neuroses, agendas, inflamed passions, and simple BS for me to want to be that much a part of it, because what I like is to listen to music, first and foremost. Writing about gear and systems can be fun when you feel like it, and that's where the Audiogon forum comes in handy.

I, too, agree with your post, when you say that reviewers make mistakes, are not always terribly insightful or prepared or thorough, and are not to be believed 'sound unheard' 100% as though they were truly golden-eared - I realize that's a mistake many novices will make, but have encountered enough instances where I felt a respected reviewer must have had their ears in a jar by the bed that day to know better myself. But I also agree with Kirk when he says that not only are there skills to be mastered in order to be a great reviewer that will weed out most, but also that the very process could turn what is supposed to be a joy into a grind. And so I tip my hat, for at least the effort if not always the result, to those who are willing to shoulder the chore for our benefit and entertainment, and to take the flames as well as the hosanas, risking their own personal enjoyment of that which they presumably love as much as any of us (and don't get paid much for their trouble, I am sure).