Vandersteen-like "In-between" speakers

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3A signature speakers that came on loan from my brother and I have to give them up in about a month. I am using them with a McCormack DNA-225 and they sound great. I have heard from others that Vandersteen works well with McCormack.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I have about $6K set aside to buy my own speakers. This amount is much more than the 3A signatures. There is no way that I can stretch to buy the Vandersteen 5 or 5A's. A friend of mine has them and they are fantastic.

Can anyone suggest a speaker in my price range, which falls between 3A and 5A, that will give me the same "flavor" as the Vandersteens and will mate well with McCormack? I listen to all kinds of music except very little classical - mostly rock, jazz, bluegrass, vocals.
motdathird
The 3A's may be just the speaker for you - based on your approval of low volume performance and detailed but not hard, highs. Quality speakers in your price range should not introduce a bass bloat problem not inherent in your room itself, and the imaging has as much to do with placement and electronics as anything (albeit a very revealing/transparent speaker that is properly matched and set up can be a glorious thing to hear). If you get speakers that are more detailed/transparent than the 3A's, such as the Quad's or the Thiels (for example) you may have much more problem with proper amplification and room set up. I'm not dis'ing the Mac's, just suggesting that your appreciation of your electronics can change vastly when you get more revealing speakers. A speaker in your price range that is very Quad like in sound, that is not as room placement and amplification sensitive, is the Gradient Revolution - well reviewed and appreciated, even though its not well known or popular (do some on line research on it). Personally, were I you, I'd spend my extra money on some good music and enjoy the 3A's.
Hi Motdathird

You gave several things you liked about the Vandies but not one thing you didn't like. To be honest I really haven't heard a better full range speaker or I should say a speaker I prefer more than the 3a sigs anywhere close to their price. You can easily get different with better in given areas, the Quads, Meadowlark or Legacy Focus maybe but you will probably lose in other areas. The 3a sigs give you the whole enchilada for the price. The only thing that possibly wouldn't be appealing to some is maybe their "laid back" presentation but you didn't mention this and I think it is a misnomer myself.

I also find they are superb at low listening levels which is very important. The coherence of this speaker is just remarkable for a multi driver design. This is and has always been one of the great appeals of Vandersteen. I think you have your speaker and I doubt you will find much better across the board at your 6K budget. I may be wrong but I'll say I haven't heard it to date and on balance would take the 3a sigs over the Legacy Focus which is a fine speaker maybe preferable but not better.
Check out the Von Schweikert VR4GenIIISE's at $6k (btw, every VSA dealer I've talked too is willing to deal, too, so figure less). The website is www.vonschweikert.com. If you can audition these, make shure that you do! New VR4JR's are supposeldy quite good too at $4K....
One more thought: check out the Aerial 7b. Voiced not dissimilarly from the Vandersteens, but more detailed and stronger bass response (if arguably a tad less smooth and coherent). A fine speaker, although you do pay for the woordworking...
I recently heard the 3As at a dealer along with the Quads mentioned above and would have picked the Quads over the 3As but not the 5As. BUT the Quads seem to need a bit more room that I can use in my room. That said, I was waiting for Vandy to do a 5A without the self power sub. Also to note are the VS VR-4SEs adn the new 4 Juniors which I am told may better the VR-4SEs. Green Mountain Audio is also coming out with their C-3 which seems to be built using the same type of design.

Happy Listening.