Grills OFF or Grills ON ???

Whenever I'm in the mood for a 'serious listening session', I'll pull the grills off my Tannoy D-700 speakers.... It just seems to unveil them.

Of course, it's a hassle...and I've got to remember to put them back on before going to bed, even though it's often already the wee hours of the morning (two cats roam my house).

Anybody else doing the same?

Also, how about the subwoofers? Same thing?
jbatlanta
Well, the worst has happened! After almost 3 months of leaving the grills off my Tannoy D-700's, I actually watched as one of the cats stared inquiringly at the upper driver for about 30 seconds. How cute, I thought, as it looked a lot like the famous picture of the RCA dog staring into that record player and then....it attacked the moving driver!

The surround is torn, and I will have to pay $220 to have the speaker reconed to bring it back to perfection.

Beware! It ain't worth it!! Put those grills on if you have cats!!!
JB:

Sorry to hear of your plight. I should have added to my previous post the following ... no matter how many well-intentioned people tell you that you can train a cat or you can use a squirt bottle or blah, blah, blah and they have been successful ... quite frankly, they have just been lucky or they are full of it. I have owned cats for over 20 years, in various multiples (1 to 6) and they ultimately will get into stuff. and it is very much, monkey see ... monkey do with cats, as well. Assuming that you wish to remain a cat owner (which is preferable for me), you either get the cat's front claws removed or move the speakers to where the cats can't get to them or leave your job and spend your time supervising them.

Give them a can of tuna tonight ... Rich
Kind of a different approach.... some of you may want to get rid of the cats. Fish tanks are cool and no hair or scratching at surrounds or speaker covers.

In all seriousness it probably depends as to how they engineered the speakers (more over whether they took into consideration the speaker grills). Paradigm claims you need to crtically listen to the studio series with grills on.

Hope this helps.
In a way, it's kinda my fault....believe it or not, the addition of a Nordost Valhalla interconnect cable between the cd player and pre=amp has brought my system 'to life' as my girlfriend says.

Well, the cats think so too and as they pretty much ignored things before, are now suddenly very affected by the music. It's really kinda weird and freaky.

I am training them to keep away from the speakers, and am making progress.

Speaker is to be reconed this week, and you know, it doesn't sound really any different with a piece of scotch tape on it!
JB:

At least you have identified a second career in audio repair. My dad had a TV repair shop in Brooklyn from the late 1940's until the mid 1980's and I remember him fixing a torn table radio speaker with some rubber cement and tissue paper. Worked fine, once it dried. Hug a cat today.

Be well, Rich